Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Off into the wild blue yonder.


For any of you who have flown in an open cockpit stunt plane over the Pacific Ocean this will be repetitive. For those who have not, it's quite a bit different from what you might experience on a Boeing 727.

It was more than 20 years ago, but the memory is still fresh. I was on what was called a "Westernization" while I worked with Sunset Magazine. About 20 of my associates and I were there to experience the West, because most of us lived East of the Rockies. The belief is, " how can you possibly sell 'Life in The West' when you live in Chicago, NYC, and Atlanta??"

The day started fairly normal; we went to Disneyland before the park opened and rode as many rides as we could the hour before "guests" started to arrive. I think we probably rode 5 to 7 rides---we did not hit it's a Small World, we went on the big people rides. It was fun, however my stomach was not having as much fun---but then again, it had had a long night the night before.

After we said good bye to Mickey and Goofy, it was off to the next adventure.

We headed to a small airport where we were going to be trying out one of that month's articles in the magazine. It was all about how you can fly in an open cockpit stunt plane; I don't remember how much it cost (it would be in the article circa 1986) but I am sure it was not cheap. We, being on a sales trip, didn't pay for anything.

These planes hold 2 people plus the pilot who rides in back of you. They are legit bi-planes. I was not the first person to get on the plane as I needed to make sure my stomach was ready. I doubt the lunch prior to getting on the plane helped much as they eat some pretty funky food out West, but I knew I was going to fly that day one way or the other.

Finally it was my turn and I got on with a friend of mine who I had worked with for a couple of years. My feeling, if you think death may be close, at least know the person who you are going to die with! Trying to look brave I asked the pilot if I could "wing walk?" He gave me a look. The look of, "don't be an idiot." I must not have understood "the look," because I then asked if we could fly upside down. He explained that it was against the law to do that unless you are flying alone without passengers, but he assured us it would be a memorable ride. I did not ask any more questions.

We took off and flew over Pacific Palisades; if you ever watched "Knots Landing" we flew over the area where they filmed the opening segment. (if you have not seen the show, then disregard.) About 5 minutes into the trip I noticed something. I noticed that the ocean was below my head. We had done some twists and turns, but the final turn kept us upside down over the water. If it were not for the seat belts strapping us in, and the head gear, think WWI, with goggles, I am sure you would have seen the fear on my face. I was terrified. But I was having fun, just a different kind of fun. We did dips and twirls in the sky but it was when we went vertical and literally stood up in the sky that I did not know if I was going to be able to contain myself. My hands had lost all of their color. They were grey. But that was not what scared me the most. We stalled. For those of you who know what that means, and most of you probably do, it means the engine cut out. Or at least I had thought it did.

We were heading downward, and fast. The pilot was screaming. He never used the word "crash" thankfully, but he did make it appear that my associate and I were going to be lunch for some of the local fish waiting for feeding time.

It was probably about 200 feet above the ocean when the pilot started laughing and we pulled away up into the sky. He asked if we would like to do it again. We both shook our heads. No.

The picture above was taken at the Chicago Air and Water Show. I can not say for sure this is what our plane looked like as we reached the pinnacle before the engine stalled, but I am going to assume it's close. That day I learned I was never meant to be a pilot (or an ichthyologist, see the blog from 9/15) but this ride is one I will never forget. My associate likely has not forgotten as well. When we landed she ran to the ladies room. I don't know the details but I assume she was probably not too happy about my questioning the pilot about flying upside down.

Since that flight I have flown only on commercial jets. I think I will stick to it.

Thanks for stopping by and taking a ride with me.


1 comment: