Search This Blog

Sunday, September 6, 2009

Although I have seen this 18,783 times, I still look at it as much as possible.



For some reason, and I don't think I am alone, the moon is mesmerizing to me. Whether I am outside looking up into the sky, on a drive, or even looking at pictures---I like to look at the moon.

You would think I would have gotten over this after more than 18,000 views, but I still look and look. I am not sure if you noticed, but on Friday we had a full moon. I know since we had it in Chicago you probably did too! But, did you notice how big the moon appeared to be? I did. My family thinks I am weird.

I used the trusty world wide web to find the answer as to why it looked so big and as usual I received an answer in nano seconds. According to Space.com (I assure you they know more on this topic than I do) here's why it happens:

"The full moon is particularly appealing this time of year when it rises just around sunset and hovers low in the southern sky most of the night."

Who would have thought? This is going to make great chit chat/trivia talk at the picnic, barbecue or family gathering you might be having this weekend. I know it will be top of mind with me. If you happen to be at a party or gathering and see me, just don't let on if I ask.

Okay?

If you have ever looked at the moon through a telescope or a camera lens, then you know the truth. I don't want to burst your bubble, but if you can read this blog chances are you already know. There's no man in the moon, no Kraft cheese label on it, and it's not green. For those of you have not uncovered this bit of knowledge, I am not discussing Santa, Easter Bunny or Tooth Fairy. (The picture above is how I found out the truth...no man, brand label, or color. Darn.)

Should you have a moment tonight when the sun goes down, turn to the south and look upward. It's amazing how something we see every day (when it's not cloudy), stepped on 40 years ago this past July, and has been the topic of many songs can still make us wonder. In case you are curious how many songs have been written about the moon, here's a list of 41. (Thanks Ask.com).

Can you add any to the list? (I don't have all of the artists, perhaps you know?)

Moon River. Henri Mancini
Moon Dance. Van Morrison
Can't Fight the Moonlight. Leann Rimes
Harvest Moon. Neil Young
August moon
Under the moon of love
Dancing in the moonlight. King Harvest
Whole of the moon. The Waterboys
Dark side of the moon. Pink Floyd
Bad moon rising. CCR
Blue moon of Kentuky. Bill Monroe
Paper moon. Leon Parker
Moon over Bourbon Street. Sting
Everybody's gone to the moon. Jonathan King
Carolina moon.
Moonlight and roses.
Moonlight bay. Edward Madden
Does that Blue Moon. Toby Keith
By the light of the silvery moon. Ray Noble
Tuba's in the moonlight. Bonzo Dog Band
Ticket to the moon. ELO
Bad side of the moon. Elton John
There's a moon in the sky. The B52's
Moonage Daydream. David Bowie
Moonshadow. Cat Stevens
Dance with the moonlight. Genesis
Destination moon. TMBG
Dracula moon. Joan Osbourne
Midnight moonlight. Grateful Dead
Moon at the window. Joni Mitchell
Moonchild. Iron Maiden
Mr. Moonlight. The Beatles
Shadow on the harvest moon. Everything But The Girl.
Sister Moon. Sting.
Sisters of the moon. Stevie Nicks.
The same moon. Phil Collins
Walking on the moon. The Police
Yellow Moon. Grateful Dead.
Song about the moon. Paul Simon
Sorrento Moon. Tina Arena

Enjoy you long weekend---and look to the sky. I know I will.

Thanks for stopping by.


1 comment:

  1. It's not a song, but a featured entree at Denny's: Moon Over My Hammy

    ReplyDelete