Search This Blog

Friday, September 18, 2009

If there is a baseball God, I think he is an Albert Pujols fan.


Almost every time I have seen the St. Louis Cardinals play, Albert Pujols hits a home run. The only time he didn't hit one he was injured and did not play. I think this means he has hit one in every game I have attended then, right? Either way, the guy is one heck of a hitter and he seems like a pretty decent guy.

I like baseball, I like the St. Louis Cardinals. But living in Chicago is sometimes difficult when you are a Cardinals fan because most of the 8 million or so people who live here are not Cardinal fans. I guess sometimes it's best to keep your opinions to yourself in this instance. Because it's only a sport. Right???

Yes, until it becomes something bigger than local sports.

We have something big we're going to learn about in the next few weeks---we'll find out if Chicago was chosen to host the 2016 Summer Olympic Games. (Guess who will be there taking pictures?) Good guess.

The opinion throughout the city is mixed as to whether or not we should be spending the money to host the games. If my point of view counts, I say "bring it on!" Hosting an event like the Olympics makes a city stop in its tracks; sure some could say this means there will be congestion, traffic, and high taxes. What I am saying is it brings incredible civic pride and life to our city. I love Chicago and I really hope we get it. (I also wouldn't mind having Albert Pujols on the Cubs or Sox, but that's not relevant to this blog.)

So if there is a baseball God, I am really hoping there is one for the Olympics as well. I am hoping he is smiling down on Chicago when they make the announcement.

The photo above was taken at Miller Park in Milwaukee, WI. I am not sure why players point to the sky when they cross home plate after hitting a home run, or after making an incredible catch or perhaps striking out a hitter who is one of the best in the league. Perhaps they are trying to make contact with the baseball God, I really don't know. What was interesting about this photo is something you didn't see--- when Pujols ran back to the dug out, he was genuinely excited. I mean he was really happy. He gave big bear hugs, high fives and chest bumps. It's not like it was his first in the majors or even the first that day (he hit two) but he was one happy guy. I never found out why, but I suspect he knew and other players knew but we fans really had no idea.

As we come down to the end of the baseball season Chicagoans know the year is over for its 2 baseball teams. The focus now is on the Chicago Bears. But not me, I am going to watch the Cardinals move into the playoffs and hopefully watch the city of Chicago be awarded the 2016 Olympics. And you can bet, when they announce who will be hosting the games , I am going to be there with my camera catching every moment.

So what happens is if we don't get it? I'll take pictures. Emotions are very powerful and make great pictures---"the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat."

If there is an Olympic God, I hope he is having good thoughts about the "City of Big Shoulders;" I want to be in the stands when the games open, I want to say I was there. I also want to take a picture that just might end up in Sports Illustrated!

Thanks for stopping by and enjoy your weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment