Search This Blog

Monday, September 28, 2009

In the blink of an eye.


Have you ever thought to yourself, "I better do something before I forget?" We all have. It might be to write a letter or call someone, buy that gift you have been meaning to buy, or take that picture you been thinking about taking. I can relate to taking "that" picture as I have often times been disappointed when I don't take a picture wondering what I missed.

You really can't live this way but sometimes we just do. It's the wouda, shoulda, coulda's in life.

If you have been to Kansas City you know it is a pretty contemporary town. It's not New York or LA, but as I see it that's a good thing. People in KC are very friendly and are not too serious about "non-important" things---well they do love the Kansas City Chiefs, George Brett (baseball player from long ago) and barbecue. They love barbecue. Me too.

One other thing that I find interesting in KC is their signs and outdoor advertisements. (I know, get a life!) But, they have some of the coolest signs that line the street on Broadway and Main. Some of them are retro logos of businesses still well know, yet these signs are the old ones. They also have outdoor advertisements for businesses that are no longer businesses. I guess they figured, "let's leave'em up since no one wants to buy them." They're often painted on the side of a building.

There was one for TWA that stood for more than 5 years after they had been purchased by American Airlines and the name retired. Perhaps they were hoping to bring the name back. Nope. There was also one for Reebok which has been purchased by Adidas. It was one of a basketball player for UCLA. How old was the advertisement? It was from the late 1980s--and it had not been changed in more than 20 years. I guess they liked the way it looked as it was an entire side of a building right next to the highway.

Every time I went to KC I would say, "I need to take a picture of that ad." I would always think, "it's okay, I'll get it next time." Finally the next time came. I made sure I could get the entire wall in my viewfinder and had to walk about a block to take the picture. It was that big. I love that picture and still love it today.

One might think that's the end of the story. But it's not. Turns out 6 weeks after I took the picture the building was torn down as it is now the Sprint Center. The Center is up and has been for a little more than a year. The picture is above---I have more than 40 different views. I just had to take more than one. I usually do.

If you have taken a picture of your Mom or Dad or family recently, good for you. If not, why not? You just never know when you will miss that shot. The one you wish you had taken but thought, "I'll get it next time." Make now the next time. Don't blink.

Thanks for stopping by.


No comments:

Post a Comment