Search This Blog

Monday, September 14, 2009

On June 20, 1975 my life changed.


For many of you June 25, 1975 means little or nothing. Especially if you were not alive. But I was. In fact, I had a date that night. We went to a movie theater on Olive Street Road in St. Louis, it was torn down years ago to make room for a big theater, to see a movie that had come out that night.

We went to see the movie, "Jaws."

I had seen the previews on TV and thought it looked like a fun movie. I was wrong. It scared me and still bothers me to this day. If it were not for my date holding my "sweaty" hand I think I would have left the theater; but I am glad I didn't because when we were leaving, I found a $5.00 bill on the ground. (Paid for the date!)

The remaining Jaws series of films never lived up to the original but I would not know. I never saw them and don't plan on seeing them!

Now 34 years later I still do not like going into the ocean; I have been at max probably chest deep but will get out as soon as it gets murky. And I'll be darned if I don't start hearing the Jaws theme sound when I am in the water---somethings just stick with you for life. What makes this traumatic experience even worse is, at one point I wanted to be an ichthyologist; for those of you who have no idea what one is, I will save you the time in looking it up. It's a fish biologist. My father laughed much harder than you probably did.

The photo above was taken at Shedd Aquarium in Chicago. It was really cold outside when I took this---that's why no one is around because few were crazy enough to go an aquarium during the week in January---and I just loved how the light was shining down into the tank.

I felt fairly safe as I took this picture as I was 15 feet away from the glass which I believe is nearly 3 feet thick. But as secure as I felt, I still knew where the exit was located just in case I needed a quick escape. Like I had a chance to get away from several hundred thousand gallons of water, and sharks, if the glass were to have broken. I have such guts, huh?

Fish and aquariums have always been part of my life. It started when I was young and up until this winter I had aquariums for most of my 51 years. I am over them as I just don't have time to take care of the mess and spend time looking at fish. My brother on the other hand has kept on the tradition---I won't discuss it here as I don't want to discuss a future blog. You won't believe that blog when I write it.

For those of you who have been reading Snap Shot on a regular basis thank you; for those who are new, welcome and thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment