Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Looking at life through the rear view mirror.


Yesterday I saw my first 2010 calendar store of the year. You know the stores; you find them in malls where other stores used to be but have gone out of business or left the mall completely for a different location. They feature all of the calendars you could imagine. From your favorite dog to your favorite team to your favorite cooking style, you get it. If I had been on the ball I would have written about the "Halloween" stores but those have been up since July! (I was not writing "Snap Shot" yet.)

It's amazing how fast a year goes by. Yes, I sound like a parent, but in our busy, fast-paced world, what used to seem like a year, now at best, has been crammed into 9 months. Before we know it, the holidays (all of them excluding Valentine's Day) will be in our rear view mirror. We will be looking forward to spring which by the calendar---after the holidays---should be 4 months away. However it will get here in 6 months and then summer will zoom by in 1 and a half. I don't know how to explain it better.

In the years I have been in this body I think I have seen a lot. Many presidents, the landing on the moon, the growth of the computer, and bad things like assassinations, the current recession and the Cardinals
losing the 1968 World Series (As a 10-year old
that was very painful.) Hard to believe that same year
we lost Bobby Kennedy and Martin Luther King.
'68 was not a good year.

The picture above was taken in South Texas. We were
visiting family and I looked at one of my
daughters in the rear view
mirror of our car. I had never really seen a
photo like this and thought---I like this shot.
I took this similar picture of most of the kids,
my wife, and well---just a rear view mirror
with no one in it. I believe the symbolism
is representative of how we must look
forward----but also spend time learning what
we have been presented with in our own
individual rear view mirrors.
It's a great learning experience.

Thanks for stopping by.


No comments:

Post a Comment