Search This Blog

Friday, September 11, 2009

TMI


School has started, friends have not seen friends for a few months, and new boys are coming into our 5 daughter’s lives; luckily, only 1 of the 5 is involved in what would be deemed a "real relationship" and she is in college. (I am not sure how I am going to be able to handle 5 when they all come home and say, "I have met the one.") Gasp. Or maybe, the shotgun will come in handy.

Let me begin by explaining there are times when our phone can't keep up with the calls---that's why they have cell phones. Right? Since we have called ID I know who is calling based upon last names, or a company name, as one of my daughters' friends has a company name listed on his caller ID. I always have to let him know that "yes, she really will call you back! I promise." Suddenly it becomes my responsibility to have them call---a trick I learned when I was a kid. Having been in their shoes, I know talking to Dads is not fun, and worse yet having to ask them to PLEASE have “her” call me back---often results in stumbling and a quick desire to get off the phone. By them.

The dating game, no not the one I grew up with host Jim Lange, has really not changed. It has just gotten a lot bolder than what I remember. Boys call girls, girls call boys, girls call girls to tell them what boys said about them and so on. Nothing has changed. But one thing has. The amount of information they know; there’s little I could say that would shock or surprise our older daughters, however there is plenty they could say that would shock me. Where did they find this out? The street? Friends? Certainly not magazines because reading is just not cool. They have the combination to this vault of information. I think I know the combination, but in case they are reading this, I don’t want them to know that I know what they think I don’t know because I do know. (With me?)

The photo above is nothing more than 2 brothers chillin’. Cash and Carter both came from the same Mom, and for a while they both lived in our home. It’s a long story but Carter has a new family (they are friends of ours) who love him as much as we did. The day I took the picture, the two of them were lying around in our kitchen when I walked in and saw Cash with his paw/leg around Carter. Certainly it’s a funny photo, but what I love most is the expressions on their faces. My interpretation, “can’t you see were busy talking Dad, get out of here!” What amazes me is their ability to pick up our own household chemistry as this is exactly the same response I get from our daughters. Case in point, when I walk in and “disrupt” their time---whether it’s with one another as they are playing, or with friends over, or when they are watching their favorite TV show--- I get the look, gesture, or question, “Isn’t there some place else in the house you can go??” There is and I leave. Yes I am out numbered.

If you have children, you probably don’t have as many as I have. If you do have as many as I have, and five of them happen to be female, you are in the same amount of trouble as I am. My suggestion, load up the shotgun, because the boys are coming and they have the same thoughts you and I had when we were growing up. (If you are a Mom, wife or daughter, prepare your Dad, husband, or boyfriend for what’s going to happen because you have lived through it. They will appreciate it!)

Enjoy your weekend and thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment