Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Thanks for stopping by.


In the course of a lifetime we meet a lot of people. Some are memorable and you stay in contact, others are just passing ships in the night. I enjoy meeting people. All types of people; I had better as I am in sales and that’s a big part of my job.

Every once in a while you meet someone who is truly a people person. Whether you intend on being one of her friends or not, you just can’t help but enjoy her and want to see her again. She must have a million friends, but you would think you were her best one.

Meet Laurene Hinson, the owner of Sweet Maple Café located in Chicago. Laurene is a real people person and when you meet her you feel like you have entered into her home.

Her story is anything but typical. At the end of the last century (doesn’t that sound odd?) she was driving around looking for property with a real estate agent. With no intent on doing anything more than invest, the agent suggested she look at a rental property on the west side of Chicago located on the UIC campus. Now 10 years later, she has what must be the most warm, engaging, inviting restaurant I have ever been fortunate to visit. Oh and the food is beyond good.

Imagine "Cheers", where every one knows you name, for breakfast and lunch! You now understand Sweet Maple Café.

Walking in I was greeted with warmth and a genuine smile. Mind you I was there for business. However with the way I was welcomed, you would have thought I was a noted dignitary who was carrying a camera bag. I was waiting for one of my associates to join me for a recording session. (No need to explain as it’s not important to the story.)

Throughout the course of 2 hours, I met a writer who is published and knows Oprah (yes the one and only Oprah), a couple celebrating 52 years of marriage that day, the owner of the building who was dining with 3 of her friends. (She is in her 90s and I will never look that good.) And one of my favorites, a man who eats at Sweet Maple Café two times a day. Every day. (I am not sure where he eats dinner as the Café is not open past 2 P.M.)

As a photographer you get to know people. The camera is a natural ice breaker. Here’s how it works. You ask, “Is it okay if I take your picture?“ Often times you will hear, “Oh I didn’t get dressed for a photo, I look terrible.” Honestly, and this is our secret, I don’t want them to be who they are not. When you dress for a photo you are not being who you are---you are dressing up. I want realism.

By the way, no one said “No.”

What I like most about the above picture is Laurene had no idea I was taking it. She was aware of the other 40 pictures I took, but not this one. She looks great in all the other photos, this is the real person you meet when you come to the Cafe. She is just wonderful to be around.

One of the other things I loved about Laurene is she thanks everyone for coming to spend time with her. How cool is that?

Funny, I feel the same way about you the reader. Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment