Search This Blog

Monday, July 12, 2010

What would you do with 50 pounds of blueberries?


For the last several years we have gone to a blueberry farm to pick blueberries. I would assume that’s what most people would do, but in the wintertime, they sell Christmas trees so I guess you would call that farmland diversification. Have no idea if that’s a real phrase or not?

For blueberries to prosper it’s essential to have rain, sun, and warm weather---we have had all 3 so far this year. The berries were in abundance and we had no trouble making sure we picked our “fair share.” I guess “fair share” is a relative term as we did pick more than 50 pounds. At first I had no idea what we would do with all these berries, but after the first night, and 4-plus pounds down, I would say by September we will be out of them. I am told they are good for you; we will be in really good shape if that’s the case.

If you have been blueberry picking you know they grown on bushes that top out at about 6-feet high. It’s the branches that grow in many different directions that are the most challenging---you get smacked in the arms, legs and occasionally in the head. I was fortunate to have all 3 smack me a number of times. I did learn to duck after a while, but at times that did little good. I survived and personally pulled in about 14 pounds worth of these darn berries. When my daughters saw how many I would pick, we would trade so it would look like they had done most of the picking. After about 30 minutes I wished they had done all of it, as I was ready to leave. No such luck, we had 2 more hours of blueberry picking ahead of us!

So, what will become of all of these berries?

If last year is an indication, friends of the kids will come by and feel just fine having a bowl or two. We also will likely make a blueberry pie, and very likely we will eat them frozen; the majority were frozen once we got home and they are fun to eat. They are a little more difficult to consume because they give you “mouth freeze” after a while. That’s the same as brain freeze, but just in your mouth. Whatever we do with them, you can be sure every member of the household is a culprit once the accusations start to fly as to who ate the most? The dog is usually the innocent soul as he doesn’t like them. (One of the few things he doesn’t eat.)

The photo above is of the blueberries I personally picked. Okay, my daughter did as well, but hers are on the bottom---and often those she picked ended up in her mouth. The rule at the farm, eat as many as you would like. With 44 miles, yes 44 miles, of bushes-- they are not worried about people eating too many of them.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment