Search This Blog

Thursday, July 15, 2010

The Beat.


Put a couple of plastic buckets upside down, grab two drumsticks, and start to play. It’s pretty amazing how when done right, it really does sound good---and that’s what Johnny the drummer does.

One of the things I enjoy doing, and it helps that I am behind a lens of a camera, is to take pictures of interesting people. (People that are mostly ignored.) Whether it’s a piano player at an airport, homeless man in Vegas, or a drummer in Atlanta near Turner Field, if you are willing to talk with them, and add to their pocket, they will talk about anything you want and let you take pictures.. Take one picture, hah, how about 30 to make sure you get the one you want. Most people who walk by have no interest at all in the individual---I try to learn more about them for my self and the readers of “Snap.Shot.”

Johnny has been playing these drums, or ones like them, for about 3 years. He didn’t say if he had a home, but I suspect it’s not one you or I would live in. He was very interested in playing for me---it was if he thought I was going to discover his talents and he would be off on the road to stardom. I did have to take a number of photos as I couldn't tell if they were coming out too dark. I would step into the shade and look, make an adjustment to the camera, and take some more. He just kept playing.

Further down the sidewalk I met a harmonica player who at one point was a photographer. He wanted me to take as many photos as I wanted---he too was given some spending money--I am going to send the pictures to him as he does have a computer and an e-mail address. I will be writing about him in the near future.

What is most interesting about street performers is their talent. With very rudimentary instruments, two buckets and drumsticks for example,, they are very talented musicians. Although it's unlikely they'll make it out of where they are at this time, it's fun learning more about who they are, where they come from, and how long they have been performing. Most people think I am nuts, but I think it's interesting.

The photo above was taken today as I walked to Turner Field to watch the Atlanta Braves play the Milwaukee Brewers. If it were not for a drunken woman from Milwaukee in the stands, the game would have had no excitement; this woman was screaming how much she loved every player from the Brewers. I turned to the guy next to me and said, “I don’t think she would be a good wife, she doesn't seem to be very loyal.” We had a good laugh.

Next time you see a street performer, think about talking with them---they really enjoy letting you into their world, and they really like your money.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment