Search This Blog

Friday, July 23, 2010

Stopping and smelling the roses.


We are now in the middle of summer. Like other summers I can never comprehend where the time goes and how we look forward to welcoming it back again.

I know what’s in front of us and I am not a fan of it. I do like fall as it is probably one of the most spectacular times of the year; fresh crisp air, colors literally exploding off the trees, and then the first freeze of the season. The best part of the freeze, it kills off many of the insects. Beyond that, I know of no redeeming value.

So it’s now or never. It’s so important to stop and take in what summer has brought to us again this year. Although this has been a particularly warm summer, it’s nothing like previous summers I can recall growing up. Those summers are implanted in my mind as really hot, humid, and wonderful. I do like summer.

This was also the time of the year my Mom loved. She loved it for many reasons; one, she hated snow and in St. Louis there is no such thing as a snowy summer. Second, she loved the St. Louis Cardinals baseball team and the years she spent listening and watching the games. Last, she loved taking the harvest from my Dad’s garden and sharing it with friends and family---this was her time, the time she loved, the time she felt most connected. (At least that’s my interpretation of her life.) It’s not like she didn’t like the other seasons, but summer was her season.

Since my Mom’s passing, I am working to stop and smell the roses, flowers, etc. with a little more frequency. I am one who does fall back into ruts as we all do, but if you are able to try something new, take a break from the ordinary, and lift your head up and look around, you will see a lot of things you had no idea were there. I know I have.

The photo above is of our youngest daughter in downtown Chicago. It’s not just tall buildings and concrete in “the Windy city.” We have parks, zoos, and much to do. It’s a very livable city and one I am very happy to call home. This year I have been able to experience some new cities I had never been to---or had spent little time in. I have discovered and explored---and for me, that’s a great way to experience what life has to offer.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment