Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Advice.



“I think I've already lost you, I think you're already gone
I think I'm finally scared now, you think I'm weak - But I think you're wrong.
I think you're already leaving
Feels like your hand is on the door
I thought this place was an empire
But now I'm relaxed - I can't be sure”
Losing someone you love is one of the aspects of life we can never be prepared for. Whether it is a family member who you can’t seem to get along with, or a lover when suddenly you both see one another’s different ways---loss is painful but sometimes it can actually be for the better. (Sometimes.)
It seems we are a society of individuals who are always seeking some type of answers; what’s the path to happiness? How do I overcome this pain I am feeling deep inside? What are tonight’s winning lottery numbers? (Sorry, had to throw that in for a little levity.)
All in all, as we grow older we experience more of the challenges that either build us or tear us down. We have to take a good hard look at what we can do about it all---if there is little, know that it’s really out of your hands. However, if you do have control in making a decision, make the most of it. Think about yourself, the other person or situation, and do what you think is right. It might not be what you would have done from the start---that can be both good and bad.
Yesterday I had lunch with someone I had recently met. We are both in the same industry---sort of---and we were discussing how we, in our roles, have to deal with many types of people and personalities. There was some laughter and there were for sure some reality checks. The one conclusion we came to---everyone is different and they all have different needs. Some are just asking for an ear while others are asking for a helping hand---it all depends on which body part is the best for that particular day.
Today will be a day filled with several situations and needs---you can be sure of that. It’s your choice on how to handle the easy ones, and whether you want to ask for help on the more difficult tasks at hand. Through experience, and maturity, we know there’s an answer out there---it just depends on whether we want to hear the question.
The photo above was taken at the Smithsonian Institution; the woman looking at this grouping of photos is my wife Susan. Whereas I have no idea what she is thinking, I do know that there is a thought---she is someone I depend on for guidance and a truthful answer…and she is much more mature than I am.
Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment