Search This Blog

Saturday, February 18, 2012

Just in case today is your last day.



"He said: "I was in my early forties,
"With a lot of life before me,
"An' a moment came that stopped me on a dime.
"I spent most of the next days,
"Looking at the x-rays"

When we are young we are invincible. There is little doubt the last thing we worry about is whether we will be living the next day, week, year or decade. I mean, only old people get sick and die.

In probably 9 out of 10 situations, the likelihood of a premature death is just that---pre-mature. Right out of one of my favorite movies when I was younger, Heaven Can Wait,  when quarterback Joe Pendleton is  accidently taken away by an over–anxious angel and says, “Are you kidding me, this must be some mistake.”

But what happens when it’s not a mistake and you are staring at the worst scenario you can imagine---suddenly you are not so sure of how invincible you really are after all?

Recently we learned of a very healthy little boy who suddenly was not healthy any longer. I can only image what his parents went, and are going, through. It must just be horrible. I am not sure if the word “fortunately” is appropriate as he continues treatment---but he is back in school, and one of the coolest things happened when he returned. He had lost his hair and as a tribute, these were 1st graders, the boys all shaved their heads so that he wouldn’t feel different. I cannot tell you how I applaud the parents, and these boys. How cool is that?

But sometimes the outcome isn’t as simple as shaving your head. Before the holidays I had lunch with a former business associate. Someone who I had worked with for more than half of my life. We sat and talked about things we had never talked about before---it was the best conversation we had ever had.  It took more than 30 years to get to this moment we were sharing----and then, 4 days later, we would never talk again. He died in his sleep.

Since his passing, and it has had a profound effect on me, I have tried—and am trying---to slow it down, smell the roses a bit more often, and live like it were my last days. I have done a few things that have even shocked me. I turned down a photography opportunity---not because I don’t love to take pictures, but because I wanted to experience the event more than stand behind the camera photographing the kids who participated. I know my kids loved my being there as it had been years since I was there as a parent--- instead of just the photographer. Not this year.

The photo above was taken in Kirkwood, CA this past December. Since I am not a skier, nor am I planning to become one, I found an area as close to the ramp as possible and captured something I wanted---crazy people doing what they love. I was one of them---I was the photographer.

Thanks for stopping by.



1 comment:

  1. It is a great moment in time when you are living what you love, and the ones you love support your passion. This is the gift, everyday- of your life. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete