Search This Blog

Sunday, February 26, 2012

This is country music.




“It ain't hip to sing about tractors, trucks
Little towns and mama
Yeah that might be true
But this is country music and we do.”

If you have been reading “Snap. Shot” for any period of time, you may remember that I like to listen to country music. Not the old time twangy stuff---it’s hard enough to admit I listen to country—but more of the newer contemporary sounds. (It’s funny because what I now consider contemporary is getting older every day.)

I believe some of my interest in this form of music must be from some gene that is cooped up somewhere deep insider my body. It must be the Iowa gene; yes there must be one, because that’s where my Dad was born, and if you have been to Iowa, you know there is a side to living there that is something we “city folk” should desire to experience one day. Quality of life never was so true.

Living in a large city, like Chicago, for sure has its benefits---but there are sides to our lifestyle that are anything but easy. Traffic, stress, and yes we do have crime here, all contribute to a style of living that takes some getting used to. I am sure the same would be true if I ever moved from a fast-paced lifestyle to say…”Butte, Montana.” I could see myself there for a brief period of time.

The funny part of country music is my ability to be interested in what it’s not hip to sing about. I love watching tractors till the soil, and truckers---I don’t want to be one, but I sure would like to photograph them on a trip. Short one, but still a trip.

The photo above was taken by my wife Susan. She and our daughters went to visit her grandmother, uncle and other family members. As part of the experience they went out to the farm her Uncle Scott owns---although I doubt there was country music playing in the background, it’s a lifestyle I could see myself living in. At least for 48 hours.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment