Search This Blog

Thursday, February 16, 2012

The mysteries of life.




“Life is a mystery,
everyone must stand alone
I hear you call my name
And it feels like home.”

Sometimes, at least for me, I feel like I am standing alone in life. Not a bad thing, just a feeling when a decision that I feel only I can make, has to be made. I know I am not alone, but there are times when I know I have to do something that must be done--it’s my experience and judgment that allows me to do what I hope is right.

I believe we all go through this.

Every day, when I walk to the office, I see people like myself walking to where I assume is the same destination that they went to the days and weeks before. We are after all creatures of habit. I take the same path, sometimes cross the street to save time, and either am listening to music or off in some stratosphere thinking about what my day is going to be or what I have left behind at home. It might seem trite, and in many ways it is, but it’s what I go through during those 15 or so minutes as I walk to the office.

But then there are some days, when I know I have to come up with something to make this day different; I go off very deep in thought. How deep might you ask? I have made wrong turns as I have walked to my office. Nothing too far off the beaten track, but enough to know that paying attention in a city of millions just might be a good idea.

Since I began writing “Snap. Shot.” again, I feel like I am back home doing something I missed and enjoyed. I will admit, after a solid year of writing everyday, I was looking forward to the break…and I took it. But now that I feel the need to communicate, with whomever wants to read, feels good. Yes I am a little rusty, and I need to find some new photos, but for some reason the energy and desire is back.

Like all humans, we need to change our course. We seem to answer the age old question, “What’s new?” with the same old answer, “Nothing much.” I do it, my kids do it (I always challenge them and ask, “You are how old and nothing is new?) and from this point on, as much as I can, I am going to have something new to talk about. Might not be exciting, but you will be reading it again right here---hopefully---every day.

The photo above was taken in San Francisco over the holidays; as the sun was setting, people milled about looking at the ocean, snapping photos with iPhones, Nikons, and their minds; it was scene I felt was worth capturing. Eventually we all stand alone, we just have to figure out what we have to ask for when we are there.

Thanks for stopping by.








1 comment:

  1. We all come in alone and leave alone, but it is what we do in between that makes a difference. Like your writing, for example. Now that you have returned to leave your special words accompanied with your lovely visuals, you have made a difference in my day. I look forward once again, to your daily thoughts. Awlways, bringing me an extra smile for the day.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete