Search This Blog

Sunday, February 26, 2012

Being unlike everyone else.



"Something has changed within me
Something is not the same
I'm through with playing by
The rules of someone else's game
Too late for second-guessing
Too late to go back to sleep
It's time to trust my instincts
Close my eyes
And leap..."

Sometimes you know what you are doing is not the same as everyone else; okay by me to be different---it’s boring to be like the other guys.

Many years ago, when I first was bitten by the camera bug, I had a meeting with the director of advertising for the State of Kansas. I know there is a twinge of jealousy knowing I was able to meet with him, but during that meeting I learned something about photography that has stuck with me. Being different is what we should all strive to be.

In the meeting I brought up that I had seen the advertising for a photo shoot in the state—it was in Popular Photography Magazine. I asked how it had gone? He said, “You know, it’s interesting, we had a group of amateur photographers who paid money to be on a trip with a professional from National Geographic. When we were given the photos to review, most were the same.” Turns out they all took photos from the same vantage point, watching the professional do his thing and copying his every move. They wanted to get the same shots he was getting.

Sounds smart when you first think about it. But then again, in photography you want to be different, stand out, catch something the other person missed. Competitive? Yes it is.

Since hearing that story many years ago, I have tried to be in different places, lie on the ground when others are standing, shoot upward when others are shooting straight ahead and so much more. For me, being different made shooting photos fun and much more creative. Have I missed some good photos? You bet I have. But I am okay with it because I know I have also done what I feel is the best way to take a picture---be different and enjoy it.

The photo above was taken yesterday at the facility where the Chicago Bears practice. More than 150 students were in attendance to receive awards for reading---my daughter was one of them. Although you can’t see the hundreds of parents behind her—only one was in front of her taking the picture I felt really counted--the one when she was getting her award. I am grateful for that conversation so many years ago---I just wish I remembered his name.

Thanks for stopping by.

2 comments:

  1. His name is not important as his message you have kept and just passed on. I have paid the price for being different. Some with rewards, and some with regrets, but I always cherish the strength it takes to count on my gut feeling. Live your truth and you shall pass with little regrets. Always love your blog.

    ReplyDelete