Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Peggy Sue.



“If you knew, Peggy Sue
Then you'd know why I feel blue
About Peggy, my Peggy Sue
Oh well, I love you, gal
and I love you Peggy Sue.”

Recently I saw on Comcast that the movie “Peggy Sue Got Married” was available for free in its “On Demand” area. If you recall the movie, it was the story of Peggy Sue Bodell and how she travelled back in time after fainting at her high school reunion. The movie also starred Nicholas Cage (Charlie)—this was before the recent news where it is believed he is a vampire.

What l loved about this movie, and it’s similar to the movie “Big”---another favorite---was the ability to either go backward or forward into the future and past. I do enjoy thinking about my past as it allows me to remember what I have learned, both the good and the bad. I try to learn from experiences however I am not always 100% able to do it.

By the way, the movie “Big” was on the other day---I watched it with my kids. They didn’t like at as much as I did. There is something about Zoltar (the fortune telling machine) that just hooks me every time I watch that movie. How much do I like the machine? I have a miniature that I purchased years ago; although I have never asked that I become “big,” I have asked about my future. I don’t remember how accurate it was.

Peggy Sue represented the innocence of long ago and the ability to go back in life and make the changes you wish you knew you would encounter one day. Life isn’t like this---fantasy is. Probably one of my favorite scenes, and if my sister is reading this she is the one who brought it to my attention so many years ago, was when Peggy Sue was home and her grandmother called the house she grew up in. Long deceased in her daily life, she was able to visit her grandparents and re-live the moments she brushed aside when she was a teenager. If we could only spend a short while with those that are now so important to who we are, but no longer around, how quickly would you be knocking on their door? I know I would be there as fast as I could.

The photo above represents simpler times; long before computers, the iphone, pad and pod, and the need to drive everywhere---we road bikes, walked, sat around and talked. It seems like this was so long ago, and in many ways it was; yes Peggy Sue got married, and so did many of the reader(s) of “Snap. Shot”---but when it’s all said and done, we need to remember the past to make our future all that much brighter.

Thanks for stopping by.


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the memories. Love your writings!

    ReplyDelete