Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Readers.



"Stuck at a red light outside an adult bookstore
He said, 'Daddy, what are all those xxx's for?'"

Over the past several months, my youngest daughter has gone from knowing her letters to reading books with me, and better yet---reading the various names of retailers at the mall. Hmmm…”Wonder how she picked that up?” Bet it has something to do with 4 sisters.

It has always amazed me how kids go from being so dependent on every aspect of their life to being able to say tactfully, “Leave me alone I don’t need your help.” Wow, being a parent is so gratifying. Actually it is.

My youngest daughters and I read together; sometimes I have them read every other page, sometimes I make them read several in a row, and other times it’s all me. It becomes funny when I am really tired and continue reading as I have fallen asleep on the bed. I will hear, “Dad, keep reading you’re sleeping.” I then know whatever gibberish I was blurting out made no sense.

Our first grader has the same homework our other daughters had at her age; the one we all enjoy is a sheet where you have to take scrambled letters and make words out of them. Then you have to guess the word the letters make up—aka “the mystery word.” Usually it’s pretty easy, however two weeks ago, for some reason, we could not figure it out. What did we do? My wife Susan put all the letters in to a decoder on the computer and voila, there was the word. Ah the wonders of technology.

I wish I read more; I am in the middle of the autobiography of Steve Jobs but my pace is very slow. I think I am still at the point where he has yet to form Apple. For anyone who has read the book, you know I have a long way to go.

The photo above was taken at my daughter Audrey’s birthday dinner. I just think it is so cool that she can read her card and figure out how funny her Dad is---or in this case, isn’t. I am told I buy goofy cards.

Thanks for stopping by.




No comments:

Post a Comment