Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Making a left-hand turn.




I've been a long time gone now
Maybe someday, someday I'm gonna settle down
But I've always found my way somehow.”

When I was young I believed I would settle down, have the life I felt would propel me into a future of success, and just live. I took the road early on, and yes it put me on a path toward success, but then I made a left-hand turn off the highway and took a much different direction in life.

Do I regret it? Nope.

Yes there has been pain, and for sure uncertainty and fear, but there are many things I would never have done, learned, or encountered had I not veered off into another lane.

I think we all consider change; if not, I think life would be boring. Not that I would want change all the time, but the challenge of doing something that you have not done before, or at least for a long time, is refreshing and good for you…I think.

After the turn of the century my life changed…a lot. I for sure hurt people, and for that I am not proud. But then there is the side that says, “Where was I going?” By the way, I am not just talking about the demise of a marriage; it was much more than that. It involved the loss of friends by not staying in contact, not being sure there was interest in remaining in contact, and the belief that exploring would be good for growth. 

Yesterday I received a call out of the blue; someone I had not spoken with in nearly 3 years. Recently connections have been popping out of the woodwork…it all started with a strange dream I had about a week ago. Since then, wow.

Yesterday’s conversation provided 100% closure to a rough patch in my life. She was someone I worked with and when I said, “I was not sure if there was interest in staying in contact” she was more than open in saying, “Mark I waited for you to take the first step because I didn’t know how you felt about being contacted.” I let her know that I felt very good about the conversation we were having.

A lot has happened in the nearly 54 years of my life—so much is unexpected. Often I wish I knew the outcome so I could either prepare for it, or at least not be too surprised. It just doesn’t work that way I guess.

The photo above was taken a couple of years ago at the Chicago Air and Water show. No, that is not me flying the plane, it symbolizes—at least for me---that being the different one, and taking the path that is most interesting, is the one that best suits me. At least on the ground.

Thanks for stopping by.



No comments:

Post a Comment