Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Days gone by.



"Well I miss Mayberry
Sitting on the porch drinking ice cold Cherry --- Coke
Where everything is black & white
Picking on a Six String
Where people pass by and you call them by their first name
Watching the clouds roll by
bye bye."

There is something to be said about the simple days we used to experience. Although it doesn’t seem that long ago, in so many ways it seems like an eternity.

The other night we attended my daughter’s “Open House” at school. It was funny because I always thought “Open House’s” occurred at the start of the year, not part way through the backend. This was a different type of event; the 3rd graders sang to us and showed us one of the new learning tools the school had purchased. The school now has 20+ iPads for the 3rd graders to obtain a higher education.

A friend of mine, who has a daughter in class and is actually my age, said, “I was asking her if they ever use the blackboards any longer and she gave him a puzzled look.” She said, “What’s a blackboard Dad?” Okay, it’s not like we these were from the stone age, however it turns out the blackboards of old are now the “green” boards of today. They are no longer black---some are even blue.

Move forward to last night. One of the ways to coax our girls to sleep is to tell them what is known in our household as “Daddy Stories.” These are the stories of when I was growing up; the problem is…I am running out of them as I will often ask, “Did I tell you this one, or that one?” They will tell me the story, so I assume the answer is “Yes.”

Well, as we moved into the 4th story of the night---I told my youngest about when I was in Kindergarten and I learned of President Kennedy’s death. I didn’t get specific about the death, only the disappointment of not being able to watch my favorite TV shows that were cancelled for a period of days. She could not understand why I didn’t use the DVR or pop-in a DVD…I said, “We didn’t have them back then.” Her response, “That’s really too bad.” Yes it was…I guess.

So yes, I miss Mayberry (one of my favorite shows when I was growing up) because today we live in such a fast-paced world. One where things literally begin during the waking hours of the day---and are in the distance when we go to sleep at night.

The photo above was taken recently in San Francisco. What I liked about it was, this building has one of the greatest landmarks in its backyard--- I wonder if they ever sit on the porch and just think about days gone by.

Thanks for stopping by.








No comments:

Post a Comment