Search This Blog

Thursday, February 25, 2010

Bad Hair Day.




Let’s face it, most of us have bad hair days. Well, maybe not all of us---especially if you don’t have hair or it’s so closely cropped that it doesn’t move, then you have a reprieve. But for most of us, we have a pretty good idea how the next 12-18 hours are going to be right when we look in the mirror; if your hair is going in a thousand different directions, it will be on your mind the majority of the day.

As my hair has receded, it’s certainly not as long as it was when I was younger. But there is still enough there to bring about a clump here, and clump there, that add a new dimension to my doo. I would love to say I don’t care, and usually patting it down does the trick, but sometimes it does require water on the brush or even another shower. For guys that’s pretty much all it takes.

Then there are the women in my household. Bad hair days are common. They either don’t like their part, want their hair braided, or better yet, they dye it; for a hair product manufacturer, we are a gold mine. Our youngest is the easiest because she just lets her hair do whatever it wants. It sometimes looks that way even though it has been brushed and even has a bow. Then there is our second youngest; she is very much into having her hair braided, pulled one way or the other, in pig tails, or just whatever feels right that day. But when it is not feeling right, she lets you know about it.

Our other two girls have discovered hair spray and expensive shampoo; I have tried to tell them the ingredients in shampoo are pretty much the same as all other shampoos, but that falls on deaf ears. It’s the dye and coloring that I don’t understand; it all started with my oldest daughter and has continued down the line. It’s not a big deal, but as I have said to all of them---“sorry, but your natural color looks best on you.” Once again, that falls on deaf ears.

What I do not understand, and there is a reason for that (I am conservative at times) is why people dye their hair all these outrageous colors. Recently we took pictures at an event and the boy had bright green hair. I asked, “Is that your natural color hair?” He looked at me and I knew what he was thinking. You do too.

The photo above was taken at the Ringling Brother’s Circus a year or so ago. The performer, and this is his real hair, must use at least a can of hair spray every performance. He has a minimum of 2 per day so getting his business can mean the difference in a profitable and non-profitable year. I am not sure what would happen if he poked you in the eye, as he does come into the stands, but based upon how the hair stands straight up, I suspect it would be very painful. Maybe if it happened he would buy you some cotton candy that could sometimes double for a hairstyle.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment