Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Landing lights in Chicago.


If you have been to Chicago, and flown in during the night, you know when it’s clear you can see for miles and miles. The lights are in patterns, and it is one gigantic grid. I have always loved flying in at night because it reminds me how large of a city I live in. I have however, never taken a picture inside an airplane.

I happen to love shooting pictures at night a lot more than during the day. Sure there are lighting differences---try shooting in the dark without a flash and you find out how challenging it can be---but when it all connects, the colors and outlines of what you are shooting come together in a somewhat magical way. Especially when taking pictures of buildings.

Probably the toughest time shooting pictures out-of-doors is when it’s really cold outside. Even the camera is telling you in one way or another that it is in no mood to be outside; no matter how important that picture is to you. There have been times when the camera has won---it would not work in the cold. Although rare, they are after all complex mechanisms and are affected by weather extremes. So is the human body and it’s one reason you don’t see a lot of winter night shots in “Snap. Shot.”

I have never been to a really frigid area like Antarctica or the North Pole (nor do I plan on going any time soon) but if I were to go, I am sure I would probably have all of the proper equipment with me. If you have seen some of the polar bear photos by Thomas Mangelsen, you know it would be a worthwhile trip. Who is Thomas Mangelsen? He is a photographer who actually has retail stores in malls featuring some of the greatest scenery shots I have ever seen. Oh and by the way, he makes $11million a year following his dream; I am falling a little short of that amount, but there is hope should I go to the zoo or something and take a great picture.

The photo above was taken north of Chicago along Lake Shore Drive. My family had tickets to a play well north of the city and “unfortunately” they were one ticket short and I had to find other plans after I dropped them off. Although saddened, I said, “I will be fine, you enjoy the show.” For the next 2 and 1/2 hours I went and took pictures at 3 different locations; one was around the area where the theater was located, one along Lake Shore Drive, and the last stop at Navy Pier in downtown Chicago---all 3 of the locations had incredible lights.That’s one of the funny things about taking pictures, just when you see the lights of the big city you just have to take pictures of them!

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment