Search This Blog

Friday, February 19, 2010

Guts.


I have met a lot of people who think they have guts. Sure at times we all think that way, but what if you had to live your life with a challenging disability or disease? Would you become a wallflower? Spokesperson for a cause? Or go do your thing? It’s a situation many of us would not want to think about or consider, but sometimes life deals you a hand you just have to address straight on.

When my Mom learned she had cancer nearly a year ago, she was terrified; we all were. We held out hope, but based upon the doctors, and their opinions at the time, it was likely to be “lost hope.” If you have been a regular reader of “Snap. Shot.” then you by now the doctors were right; however, we were able to enjoy her remaining 7 months as a family. Now we have her in our daily thoughts. She died with dignity and grace---it took a lot of guts.

There are many stories similar to what we went through---many of them don’t turn out to be as black and white as what happened with our family. Families have years and years of suffering, confusion and wonderment as to why this happened---placing incredible stress on many lives. A simple way of putting it might be, “that sucks.” But when life does “suck,” I like to see if there is something that can be “sucked out” of a bad situation. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t.

This level of reality is not confined to disease and illness, it can be a test you blew in school, loss of a job, or worse yet, “Why did the 1968 St. Louis Cardinals blow the World Series when they were up 3 games to 1?” If anyone can provide true meaning, please let me know! Okay, the Cardinals have won the World Series since this major “choke,” but it still was painful. Oh never mind, the Cubs haven’t won in 102 years, so who am I to complain?

As a commuter, I see people who have disabilities who ride the train; I always say to myself, “My life is great, and what guts these people have to put their disability aside and adjust to this new and more difficult life.” Maybe they don’t see it this way, maybe they see it as the cards life has dealt them, I really don’t know. But I do have tremendous respect for them whether they want, or feel, it’s deserved.

The photo above is one that might surprise a lot of people. The person playing the guitar is my wife’s ex-husband and the father of two of my daughters. (They are technically my “step daughters,” but I don’t like the word “step” and they live under the roof I live under, so that means they are my daughters too.)

Bill, like Michael J Fox, has what they call, Juvenile Parkinson’s Disease. Most people believe this G-d awful disease only strikes the aged, but you can be sure, that is a misconception. Mostly in part to Michael J Fox, more people have become aware of the symptoms and way of life individuals live with Parkinson’s. Bill is one heck of a musician and has transferred this gene to his daughters. (One of my other daughters is a very good singer, but I don’t think Bill contributed to her genetic make up since I am her Dad.)

A few weeks ago, Bill was hired to play at a local restaurant; for someone who has real challenges doing many things we take for granted, he does not let his disease get in the way of his music. Bill and I have not always seen eye-to-eye, but there is one thing I have always admired about him; his creativity, his passion for life, and his ability to really entertain people. I appreciate you spending a few minutes meeting Bill.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment