Search This Blog

Friday, February 26, 2010

Fish.


Today’s title is fairly simple, but there’s a reason. Fish, as we all know, come in many different shapes and sizes. If we decide to bring a fish into our home as one of our first “pets,” it more than likely will not be a large one such as a shark or whale. Because they tend to die fairly easily, the first introduction usually begins at a pet shop or comes from the carnival. In either case, the standard goldfish is the logical, and popular, choice.

Once we get over the enjoyment of just one fish, we usually add one more or better yet, purchase our first aquarium. My first was a 10-gallon, a fairly standard size. It’s also one that should it explode or have a rock end it’s life as a fish holder, doesn’t usually ruin an entire house. Don’t laugh, it’s happened.

Recently we have read in the press of a trainer at SeaWorld who lost her life when a Killer Whale pulled her into the water and she drowned. As sad as this is, and it is very sad, I suspect she left this world doing what she loved most…being with fish. In this case a very large fish. If you have seen Killer Whales at theme parks, you know they are very friendly when trained properly; but there must be a reason why they are called, “Killer Whales.” Their background must be violent or they would be known as “Nice” Whales or “Fun-to-be-around” Whales. Yes they are beautiful, but like any creature taken out of its natural environment, they sometimes just crack and become unpredictable. I am not sure what will happen, but I suspect we have seen the last of these shows for some time.

When I was raising fish as a kid these were very enjoyable times. I was never worried about whether or not I was going to be pulled into the tank, however I do remember the lights on top of the tank falling in to the water one time. Luckily we didn’t have fried fish for dinner as I quickly pulled the plug on the lights. I am sure most of my friends saw the “BIG L” on my forehead as raising fish is a little different than say, being a jock, musician, or artist. Nope, I raised fish in my bedroom.

One of my favorite fish I ever owned is featured in the photo above---no this was not the actual fish. It’s a species known as a Discus fish and they are found in warm water and are just beautiful. It’s of no surprise why they are called Discus fish, as they are large and in the shape of a disc. When I was recently in Atlanta, and moseyed over from the huge tank with sharks and rays, I found the fish of the Amazon exhibit; that’s where you will find these beauties. When I saw them in the tank, the memories poured forward of the hours and hours I spent watching the fish in the 3 aquariums in my room. Sure, it’s a bit different, and thankfully I have overcome this passion, but it’s all part of growing up. I will always enjoy watching fish, and am often mesmerized when I am at a large aquarium, but for now, I am sticking with photography. Fortunately, unlike goldfish, the only thing that dies in a camera is the battery.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment