Search This Blog

Thursday, February 18, 2010

Travel.



Over the years the ability to travel anywhere in the U.S. and the world has opened up substantially; whether it’s the current environment in competing for passengers, the recession, or the built up capacity of seats available by a number of airlines, there is little doubt if you want to go somewhere, you can.

In Chicago, it now appears that our 3rd airport---they have been talking about building one for years---might actually be located to the north in Milwaukee, WI. Certainly saves tax dollars, and if you live in the northern suburbs of Chicago, it’s probably closer and no doubt less congested than our other airports.

I remember when I was growing up, the thought of getting on an airplane was almost on the same “excitement” level as my birthday. I would think about it for weeks; okay, maybe birthdays were a much bigger deal back then, but today, if flying were still just as exciting, I would say it’s a virtual tie. I think getting older must be playing a greater role in my thinking---but my thoughts about flying have changed for sure. Back then we dressed up to get on the plane, they served meals we looked forward to, and people smoked on the planes. (I always made sure I sat as far forward as possible, but sometimes I would be placed near the “smoking” area.)

The other day when I flew, the airline offered internet service on board; part of me was interested, but since the flight was only an hour and half, and I had just sent out all my necessary e-mails prior to getting on board, I passed. I think most other people did as well; I worked on this wireless account while at a previous job, it’s called “GoGo.” I would have thought more passengers would be using the service, maybe it was a bad day. Who knows?

Okay, enough with the fun parts of flying.

This time of the year, the words “delay and cancelled” are more frequently seen on the departure and arrival boards than “on time.” When in NYC recently, the weather changed all travel plans; I can handle weather delays, and learned a valuable lesson about the major airlines in a market, in comparison with the “newbies” or smaller regional airlines. Southwest, which is a dominant airline in several markets, has a very small presence in New York. Still one of my favorite airlines, without strength in the market, they get pushed back in “pecking order.” Those two days, they were pushed way back—in fact, they stopped flying those two days.

The photo above pretty much says it all. When you have as much snow as New York did that day, the board is going to read “Cancelled.” Luckily I had a room and my computer and camera with me---probably the worst inconvenience was the lack of food the hotel had. They served breakfast and dinner. I guess we were not expected to be hungry for lunch. I like to think back on the days when I loved to fly---unfortunately like many people who travel for a living, those were the good old days.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment