Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

The Piano Man.


I remember when I heard my first song by Billy Joel. The song was “Piano Man.” That was a long time ago but I know where I was, and whom I was with. I remember asking my friend as we drove along, “Who is this singing?” My friend Scott was always way ahead of his time musically and said, “That’s a guy named Billy Joel. He also sings a song that uses the word…” however, I can’t mention it in “Snap. Shot.” We always sang the song “Captain Jack” extra loud when we were driving along Olive Street Road in St. Louis. Those really were the good old days.

I have never played the piano but I do wish I had learned when I was young. There is something about being able to play an instrument on the spot that not only brings people together, but also makes you the life of the party. Mix my inability to play the piano, along with my singing voice, and you have “a room clearing” situation on your hands.

Throughout the years I have been in bars where they will have a piano player. Often unappreciated, they usually are pretty good. They play fun, uplifting songs, the old standbys you would expect in a bar, and then sometimes you get an individual who just blows you away. If you do find these performers, you often times wonder why they are playing at a bar? I suspect a lot has to do with the lack of the big break or they just like to play locally. Who knows?

Recently I was in Atlanta and saw a guy playing a piano at a restaurant at the airport. He was talking to someone and I thought, this would make a really interesting photo. There was a cool reflection off the piano top. You could also tell he would always be looking for the break he never got. Risking missing my flight, I decided to stop and talk to him. Turned out he too was photographer, and I asked if I could take his picture; his story was more of the usual but he had an interesting twist. He played piano all around the country. He didn’t make a lot of money, but he would travel all over, line up work in a bar, and play. He seemed to really love meeting people and loved playing the piano. He was really good.

The photo above was taken at the airport restaurant; with a smile on his face, and a gift for talking that even had me speechless, we spent 10 or 15 minutes discussing photography, music, and his travels playing in bars. I made my flight, but it was close. As far as I was concerned, I knew there was another flight; but with a chance meeting of the “Piano Man,” this was a moment not to miss.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment