Search This Blog

Saturday, February 13, 2010

Location, location, location.


Sometimes being as close as possible seems like the best route to take when photographing a subject, however being away from the action does make for an interesting photograph at times. It really all depends if there is a story closer to or further back from the subject; this is when the adage, “a picture is worth a thousand words” takes form.

For example, imagine if the “Twin towers” on September 11, 2001 had been photographed from the building right next door. Sure you would have a very close up photograph, but you would have missed visual impact of that very horrific day when the smoke was billowing from the buildings against the blue skies.

However, being closer to the buildings, at least a couple of blocks away, did provide some of the emotional reminders of the fear and pain of that day; these photos, with soot and debris spewed all over everything within a radius of many blocks, showed up in media all around the world. They are some of my favorite photos ever shot, and fortunately for the photographer and the world, they were captured.

But there are times when being further away from the subject lends itself to the picture that creates a double take. I have been fortunate to take pictures where in the background a better story is taking place. When at Lake Tahoe taking a photograph of my family, there was a man in the water searching for precious metals. He looked very out of place, but with out his being there, the picture would be a "deleeter” instead of a “keeper.”

The photo above was taken at the Chicago Bulls game a few weeks ago. I would not be telling the truth if I said I am really glad I was sitting in the stands and not feet away from Benny the Bull, but I also know the opportunity to see a dark form that close added to the photo. I actually like this photo more from where I was sitting. But as a note to any professional sports medium, if you would like me to be very close to the net, base, or goal post, all it takes is a call and I am more than willing to forget about sitting in the stands.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment