Search This Blog

Saturday, February 27, 2010

(Im)maturity.


There is a horrible rumor floating around. Someone, or some people, are saying that boys, guys, and men are immature. What?I just sit there and think, "You have got to be kidding me?" I am going to find those who are spreading these false truths and well, I am going sit on them and give them a wedgie, a noogie, and a loogie. That'll show them who is immature.

Just the other day I was talking to one of my best friends from high school who is a frequent reader of "Snap.Shot." He is one of a handful I believe who tunes in at least once or twice a week to read up on the latest and greatest of what's happening on this blog site. Well, the other day he made some suggestions as to what would be great topics for future blogs; he had some great suggestions, however if I wrote about what he suggested, I would be sued. Some of the topics involve people who "might" read this blog. Here are a couple of topics he wanted me to write about, without the actual specifics.

A very long time ago, he and i were dating the same person. We both knew it and we would maybe, just maybe, compare notes. It reached its pinnacle one day and we still talk about it today. Another topic he wanted to discuss occurred while we were driving to the JCCA along Fee Fee Road in St. Louis. One of us, not me, forgot to put underwear on and let's say something was playing peek-a-boo. We laughed so hard that we almost met a tree head on. But the best, and this will really reinforce our maturity, happened when we were in a bookstore at the mall. We both thought we were very funny, and this was well before Jerry Springer hit the airwaves. I announced at full volume, "That's just great _____, you went and got my Mom pregnant." The entire store turned around and we just walked out into the mall laughing so harder I thought I was going to get sick. Perhaps this is how Jerry Springer came into existence.

Oh we were mature. We liked to tee pee, throw eggs, and as a home owner one of my favorites, give lawn jobs. You might be asking what that is? It's when you drive on someone's lawn. As I look back on these times I realize how stupid and dumb they were, but I also know that for the last 35+ years we have talked about them with very fond memories. I guess since no one was hurt, and the grass grew back, that it beats being a gang member or harden criminal. I am sure my Dad, who doesn't read Snap.Shot, would be so proud knowing some of my antics.

As i look back on growing up with a group known as the "4 Musketeers," I know how much fun I had, and although these acts were juvenile and immature, I would not change what happened. About 3 years ago, three of us got together while we were at our high school reunion. We had a great time; I will not disclose whether or not we reverted back to our old ways, but I can say we didn't throw any eggs, tee pee any houses, and certainly our cars did not venture off the road on to someone's lawn. We did something we had never all done before---it was described to me as "going to the east side." It was an experience. It was great to be back together.

The photo above is of my nephew. He is a really nice kid and is a lot of fun to be around. Putting his goggles upside down was his idea, not mine. But when i saw them, I knew I had to take a picture. Growing up has its innocent times, and some not so innocent times; but as you do grow up (and we all do) you sometimes do things that mold you for the rest of your life. in my case, I was one of the best "egg throwers" in our group. I say that with pride until one day I am going to wake up and find I have been replaced by some 15-year old kid and it's my house that's been hit with a dozen eggs.

Thanks for stopping by.

2 comments:

  1. thanks for the shoutout, Marky. Would it be immature to say I was shitting while reading this?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, that would be very valuable information to all who read "Snap. Shot." i suspect no one will read this based upon how many people I suspect read this blog.

    ReplyDelete