Search This Blog

Thursday, February 4, 2010

Class is in session.


In the next few months, my oldest daughter will be graduating from college. She has prepared for this day for the past 21 years and soon will be putting the classroom behind her and entering the next stage of her life; hopefully the boardroom or a business environment that allows her to put her studies to good use.

This past weekend we went to one of our other daughter’s cello recital at her middle school. As I sat listening to her play I looked around and the memories poured back of the days gone by. Days when I used stand and say the “Pledge of Allegiance,” doodle on the desk, and of course make sure the clock was in fact working so I could determine when class was over. There were many days when it could not come soon enough---rather, most days it could not come soon enough.

With the economy still mending, many students are opting out of joining the working class for a few more years of school; whether it’s an MBA, or other advanced degree, every time I hear their plans I think, “boy I could never go back to school.” Even when I went back for courses I had a passion for, such as photography and painting, I still could not wait to get out of there. I still feel this way but I am wondering if taking a photography course in an area where I need great improvement might not be a bad idea? Okay, after thinking about it----I am not interested.

Then there are other situations, and these are life changing ones. Yet another daughter of ours has a boyfriend who has quit high school---yes, high school. To hear this all I can think of is---he will need a miracle to excel in life. I spoke with him about his choice to quit, he is after all dating my daughter, and learned of his plans. I agree with his decision 100%. Turns out he was not going to graduate on time so he opted to stop; his plans are to take 15 hours at a local community college and receive his GED. He then will enter the military. In other words he knows he needs to make a dramatic change in his life and the military is the most logical answer; if there is an “out,” this is his out. After serving, he wants to get a college degree---probably one of the most mature points of view he could take during this time of transition.

The photo above was taken during the cello recital I attended. What amazed me is how little has changed in the way a classroom looks---same clock, same placement of the flag, same globe (some different countries names on it) since I left school.
During the past few years I have been fortunate to meet a lot of people who have touched my life; their stories are vast, some are not easy to hear about, but in the end it has been the greatest learning experience I have had. I didn’t learn about this in school, I learned in everyday life. For me, this has been my advanced degree---and best of all, I didn’t need lunch money.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment