Search This Blog

Monday, February 22, 2010

Team U.S.A.



Okay, I have a confession to make. I didn’t watch the hockey game yesterday when Team U.S.A. beat Team Canada; I also didn’t watch the game in 1980 when Team U.S.A. beat Russia. In both cases, based upon the highlights, I felt like I not only watched it but can talk like I was there. So what could I possibly have been doing when such a critical moment in U.S. history was occurring? My wife and daughter were watching “Desperate Housewives” and I didn’t even know the game was on. Boy that’s a weak excuse.

I have spoken with a number of people who are just in love with the Olympics; for someone who loves to take pictures, I would love to be in Vancouver, for someone appreciates the sports, I should be at home. I am just not into skiing, speed skating or ice dancing. I do like the Summer Olympics, and I am still disappointed Chicago will not be hosting the games, but as far as watching the Winter Olympics, it continues to reinforce it is cold outside. I do not like cold weather.

For someone who is very patriotic, remember I am the guy who sings the “National Anthem” at sporting events, and have been told to please not sing, how could I not be into the Olympics? I have my head down in disbelief. I am very happy Team U.S.A. continues to rack up medals---I am wondering whether we have gotten that much better or the other teams decided not to show up. There were Winter Olympics where I seem to remember we were way behind in the medal count. Not this time.

One area where I believe the Olympics have been tarnished is allowing professional athletes compete. When they stop the NHL every 4 years for the games, I have to think, “wasn’t the Olympics a showcase for those who are not professional athletes?” Funny how competition and global pride brings about change.

The photo above was taken a few years ago in Columbus, Ohio. The Columbus Blue Jackets were playing the Colorado Rockies. When it comes to professional sports, I love to go. For me the talent on the ice, field and grass is mesmerizing---they are the best in their respective sports, and for some reason I just love to shoot their pictures. Perhaps it’s because you read about them day in and day out that you want to capture them in action; what I need to remember is many of the athletes who play on Olympic teams are the same players I am photographing at professional games. For some reason I don’t think about that.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment