Search This Blog

Saturday, February 6, 2010

The Portrait.


Last night we spent 3 hours shooting portraits at a nearby school. We volunteered to take pictures at the annual sock hop where more than 150 families showed up to dance and have fun. When I got there I was met by one of the volunteers and she showed me where to set up. I was a little concerned because I didn't want the kids to trip over the wires.That didn't happen but one did fall against our back drop---both the back drop and little girl were fine.

As a parent I know how difficult it can be to shoot a portrait. You want your son or daughter to look into the camera and give that perfect smile. Here's a word of advice,if they have never been able to do this in the past when taking pictures, there is a pretty good likelihood that this is not going to be their first time. It wasn't for some of the kids who came to our area last night.

There was one boy who flat out refused to put her arm around her sister---this was not a case of cooties he was just not going to get close to his sister. Then there was the boy who could not wait to have his photo taken. He posed like a pro, but unfortunately his hair was sticking up and he looked like a dork. Hello photoshop. Some of the best shots of the evening were of some very well behaved little girls; on cue they smiled, looked into the camera, and the magic happened. If the parents don't buy these pictures, I might buy them. They were that good. It wasn't the photographer, it was they knew how to have a picture taken of them. In the area of portraits, this is what makes it all happen.

We had tears from a couple of younger kids but I think all in all they had fun. My highlight of the evening came about when I went to the dance and took pictures from behind the DJ. This is a shot I would like to take at a concert one day; it's when you have the back of the performer and a sea of people looking at him. One day I will be behind the curtain and take this photograph. One day but it is hard to get behind the curtain.

The funniest part of the night was when a mom wanted to take a picture with her daughter. She was so excited to take the photo, and when I looked at it I said, "Let's take another just to make sure." That's a sign that it looks bad. She said, "One more and I am sure we will be fine." She is going to be disappointed as in both pictures they have their eyes closed. I tried to tell her.

The photo above was not taken at the event, it was taken at the zoo. It's funny, with many of the kids whose posing this ape was easier; he knew I was taking a picture, even though we don't speak the same language and I am sure he would like it in his cage. If interested, all he has to do is go on our website and order it with his Brookfield Zoo credit card.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment