Search This Blog

Thursday, February 11, 2010

The Count.


As kids, I think it’s perfectly normal to count down the number of days until the next big event. Whether it’s a birthday, holiday or a relative coming to visit, the countdown usually starts about 3 weeks out and continues until that magic day. It really is funny to hear them ask, “So how many more days until my birthday, Christmas or until Aunt JoAnn is here?” This year the birthday question came 2 days after it had happened. I didn’t have the heart to tell her, “well depending on if it is a leap year or not, either 363 or 364 more days.” I said, “It’s a long way away but it will be here very soon.” Love the evasive answers!

When I was younger, much younger, I remember a character on Sesame Street known as “The Count.” He was a vampire and he would count a number of different things---he was for sure the best counter on TV. I would watch Sesame Street with my son, he was probably 3, and we would count together; it was one of those moments when you knew the real rewards of being a Dad. On a side note, we also watched Game 7 of the1968 World Series together (it was on a sports channel) and it was very difficult for me to watch my beloved St. Louis Cardinals gag and choke away the series after being up 3-1. I remember the question he asked, “What’s wrong Dad?” I was speechless as I could not tell him this game destroyed a part of my childhood. Yes it hurt that bad.

So back to counting.

Today as my daughters continue to master math and reach heights I never would have been able to make---such as Calculus, Statistics and other higher-level math classes---I know my strengths have not gotten too far off what I learned on Sesame Street. Yes I can do the basics of course, but when it gets into theory and other personal non-essentials in math, a glazed look comes over my eyes.

As I await a plane here in New York City, I have counted the 2 days I have been waiting to leave; I also have counted the 15 plus inches of snow we received since Tuesday night. Luckily I planned ahead and booked a room near the airport…for that I feel I am a genius. (Not really, but it reads well on Snap. Shot.)

The photo above is all about patience and defining what a child, and adult, must go through when they are waiting for their next big event. This photo is of my daughter waiting outside one of the houses for candy. What she doesn’t know is there was no one home. It’s been a while since I was 5, but knowing that good things are ahead, is well worth the countdown.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment