Search This Blog

Friday, March 2, 2012

Art?



"Yes, I am the victim of a Basketball Jones
Ever since I was a little baby, I always be dribblin'
In fac', I was de baddest dribbler in the whole neighborhood
Then one day, my mama bought me a basketball
And I loved that basketball
I took that basketball with me everywhere I went
That basketball was like a basketball to me.”

Last night I dropped off some photos at our local library; every month they provide “space” for individuals to hang art and photography on the wall in the main area. It’s a nice showcase.

When I came in the door, I explained I was there to see “Gary.” She said, “Yes he has been waiting for you.”

She then called him to tell him, “The artist was here.” I looked in back of me and said, “Who is the artist?” I was serious. She said, “Well you are.” I smiled and said, “No, I am a photographer, my talents are performed by a camera that captures a moment.” I was not trying to be modest---I was being honest. (Okay, a little modest, but I really don’t feel that taking a picture is like painting or other artwork that has to be crafted with your hands and mind.)

When Gary came upstairs he was very complimentary about the photos I was leaving behind. He referred to it as “art.” I then walked with him upstairs to see where the frames would be hung. I went on to explain how I view photography. I explained that sure it takes some talent to capture an image, but you really need luck, lighting, and timing and without all 3 of these components, you have a snapshot.

He said his daughter is a photographer; I gulped.

I think part of me has become aware of all of the incredible photographers on this planet and how difficult it is to stand out from the rest. Even photographers for Sports Illustrated are pretty much un-known names and their pictures are pretty much for publication only. That’s not art, it’s editorial. However, I would be very interested in being an editorial photographer if that’s what it takes to photograph for them.

Photography is confusing at times to me; it’s so personal and just because I, or someone else, believe a photo is good or bad, really is in the eye of the beholder. I think what I need to develop is a thicker skin.

The photo above represents how I am a “Basketball Jones.” Sitting in the stands at a professional game, or on the floor of a little league tournament, we capture a moment---if it were not for my trusty Nikon, I would be drinking a beer and eating popcorn.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment