Search This Blog

Monday, March 5, 2012

My name? What does it matter.



I've been through the desert on a horse with no name.

It felt good to be out of the rain.

In the desert you can remember your name

'Cause there ain't no one for to give you no pain.”

This past weekend I turned in my nametag as Dad, husband, individual, to become “the photographer.” It always amazes me how many names we have as we move through life, yet I can be Izzy’s Dad, Susan’s husband, and every countless name except my own when I am out and about.

Am I okay with it? Of course I am.

But this weekend I went from my everyday life to “photographer.” I really am still stunned at times that I do this on the side, but I asked for it and am so glad I did.

Here’s how it came to be.

A few weeks ago I was picking up my daughter Audrey when I was asked, “Would you be willing to photograph at an event in a couple weeks?” I asked what it was…and whereas I wanted to say, “Let me think about it,” I knew it was a good cause and having a photographer there would add to it. I said, “Let me check, but if nothing else I will donate a photograph for the silent auction.” I thought I was in the clear---but I knew couldn’t say “No.”

If this sounds surreal---imagine this. For most photo shoots I don’t know a soul. Maybe one person…usually the one who asked us to photograph. This one was similar but it was a dressy event---I wore a sweater and pants---and once I got there, I didn’t have a place to set up, I was standing around for a while waiting to take photos, and for a split second, I was wondering if this was going to be the first time I didn’t take a picture. I was wrong. Thankfully.

The event turned out to be a lot of fun; many of the attendees are teachers and are a bit conservative I would assume--but they surprised me. When I photograph, I ask people to step outside of their comfort zone. Put a prop on, stick out your tongue, jump in the air, and more. They did, and they were laughing when they did it. What always cracks me up is…”I ask people to do things they would never do in public, yet they pay attention to the photographer.” I wonder my kids will ever pay attention to me?

Quick answer.” No way.”

The photo above is of a group of teachers; they were very nice, posed well, and were more than happy to take a group photo. When I asked them to jump in the air, the look was, “Are you kidding me?”

Umm…”Nope.”

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment