Search This Blog

Saturday, March 3, 2012

Get ready for the mud slinging.



“I'm proud to be an American, where at least I know I'm free.
And I wont forget the men who died,
who gave that right to me.
And I gladly stand up, next to you and defend her still today.
‘Cause there ain't no doubt I love this land, God bless the USA.”

As we venture into the long drawn out presidential campaign, I can only hope people stop and remember we are not divided as a country, we are just divided on who we believe is the best person to run the country. By the way, if I were posed with the opportunity to lead the country, “No thanks” would be out of my mouth before they even asked.  I’m not worried…I suspect I won’t be getting the call anytime soon.

But even though I would never want to be in politics this doesn’t mean I love our country any less.

I am sure I have written this before in “Snap.Shot.” so sorry for repeating myself. Whenever I attend a sporting event, or even in my home, when the “Star Spangled Banner” is being sung, I sing along and place my hand over my heart.  I love America, am proud to be one of its citizens, and most of all feel very proud to sing along. But I do it very quietly.

Why?

This is where I believe I have written before. It happened a number of years ago. The band was playing, the singer was belting out the words, and I was singing right along. Midway through, around  “and the rockets red glare,” the person in front of me asked that I please stop singing or at least not as loud. I guess it was confirmed I cannot carry a tune. They are right.

Recently I was working on a proposal at work that dealt with the upcoming Republican Convention. I can’t go into details of course, but I did learn the 2012 race, for all offices, will cost around $8 Billion. It’s probably me, but for $8 Billion I think the money could be better spent. I am not sure what for, but I know that at least half of those dollars will go toward candidates who come out on the losing end. Maybe they need a better advertising campaign.

The photo above was taken at a Chicago Blackhawks game. While the music was playing, and the song was being sung, I looked up and saw a beautiful sight. There is little doubt we are very fortunate to be free and live in the greatest land on Earth. God Bless the U.S.A.

Thanks for stopping by.


1 comment:

  1. Better to sing with a bad tone and know the words, than to try to belt it out with the wrong phrase. I personally love it when someone is passionate and letting it go. Enjoy and let the others suffer, I am sure there are others that will be more proud of your passion than the lady who sings the blues.

    ReplyDelete