Search This Blog

Thursday, March 22, 2012

Call when you can.




Jenny I've got your number
I need to make you mine
Jenny don't change your number
8 6 7-5 3 0 9 (8 6 7-5 3 0 9)
8 6 7-5 3 0 9 (8 6 7-5 3 0 9).”

We live in times when phone numbers are not as important as they once were. We have e-mail addresses to write instant letters, we text, and for those who remember when AOL was everything, we still do instant messaging.(We have it at work as a way of asking a question without having to pick up the phone—we’re so techy.)

When I first got a cellphone back in the early 90’s, I had to suddenly remember another number amongst the many I needed to know for reaching business associates and clients. Not a big deal, just another deal—and then I had to learn other people’s numbers that were not published. The number has become part of who I am---it’s a personal identification that allows anyone (as long as they have my number) to reach me whenever they want.

But the cellphone of old is nothing like the smartphone of today. With today’s array of options you can pretty much do anything this device that fits snuggly or loosely into your pocket, purse or brief case. It’s amazing---right there is practically any form of communication and entertainment you need. Exciting and yet sad at the same time---just look at the teens and young adults today.

The company I work for actually has advertisements placed on the structures that have, and used to have, payphones. Yes, there are still payphones out there, not nearly as many as there were, but whether they have a phone or not, the physical structure still remains. That’s where the advertisement ends up for anyone who walks by to see. One thing I didn’t realize is, in New York City, they have payphones (they work) incase there is ever an incident like 911 where the cell system was essentially shut down to overloading. The usage of “landlines” provides the necessary communication to the outside world.

The photo above has been in “Snap.Shot.” before; I used it in a previous blog when I received a call from my Mom while she was in hospice nearly 3 years ago---it was a very appropriate photo for that day. Whereas I will never receive another call from her, I want her to know I have the same number.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment