Search This Blog

Monday, March 12, 2012

Memories in the making.




We only had a few days, and a whole lot of memories to make
Oh man we were livin, didn't waste one minute
We talked and drank and danced and said goodbye
We laughed until we cried.”

There are times when we look back on what has taken place and realize this was a memory in the making. The best memories are the unexpected ones---oh and they are hopefully good ones.

In the next few weeks, I am going to be involved in another memory; my son is getting married. Although a bit hard to believe, I know it has been a long time in the making---nearly 28 years of getting ready in fact.

Jason has grown into a man who I really respect. He is kind, not afraid to speak his words, and most of all a really grounded person. Just as I was hoping he was going to be---but as we know, you never can be prepared for what “might be.” He is the epitome of what “might be.”

Today I spoke with him and asked, “By the way, are your Mom and I walking you down the aisle?” Just a small detail I think we should be aware of. As usual, “Well, I really haven’t thought about it much.” I suggested that maybe he should. In the end, I do believe we will be both be handing him off to the next step in his life. I am sure there is some sensitivity to his Mom and I being divorced---but as far as we are concerned, we would not have it any other way.

I look back and think of all I have been through with Jason and his sister Amanda; we grew up together, dealt with the very good things in life and the challenges it can bring. Now on their own, they are making decisions for themselves. Although I do not know the specifics of their daily lives, I do know some of the details that got them there. From the days of playing baseball (Amanda has an incredible throwing arm) to spending time wrestling and playing what we call “Kill Daddy,” they have both grown into adults and I am proud.  I am happy to report I still play “kill Daddy” with my youngest---so far I am alive so I guess the name has not lived up to its claim. Thankfully.

I am not going to be the photographer at the wedding although I offered. I am fine with that as I know it would distract from the experience---however, part of me would love to be capturing this moment. I will do it through my internal memory---the one I have depended on all these years.

The photo above was taken a few years ago when Jason was home visiting. Along with his sisters, he is posing with his Dad.

Thanks for stopping by.





No comments:

Post a Comment