Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Illusions.



So if you think your life is complete confusion
Because your neighbor's got it made
Just remember that it's a grand illusion
And deep inside we're all the same.”

We live in a competitive world; there is little doubt about it. Who has more, less, and everything in between, determines status. I have been in all 3 of these categories and I can tell you, no matter what you think you have, someone has more, some less, and some really don’t care what you have or don’t have. I like the ones who care the least.

There is a very well known expression that “your health is really all that matters” because without it, you are not going to be having much fun. Amen.

Recently we have witnessed several people who have seen their lives turn for the worst. We know of people who have had very challenging times with their children, are going through rough patches in their marriages, and I am sure a lot we don’t know about. Frankly, it’s none of my business and I really don’t care to know unless they bring it up to me.

The other day I was with an individual who has “been through the wringer.” They have seen so much of their daily life change all due to someone who has changed dramatically over the past several years. I am keeping this generic because it’s personal for this person---but we had a really good conversation about how it has affected their life.  I think their knowing that others have encountered it brought relief—I was able to share experiences. Whether the same or different, life can deal you a ton of crap.

Every day when I wake up I am glad I did. The other option is really not that appealing to be honest. But as we progress through life we know we will encounter the negative news or make decisions you are not very proud to say you have done. Today there was an article in the New York Times about a senior official who “worked” for Goldman Sachs. No I don’t read the New York Times often, and I certainly didn’t know this individual. But, his actions made me want to read more about what he had to say.

Essentially after 12 years of working at the firm he said, “I quit.” Not because of anything he did, but because of what was going on around him. The greed, and belief that your customer comes “after” the money, has made him re-think his purpose in life. I am sure he walked away from millions, but in the end he is a very wealthy person for making a call he knew was right for his moral conscious. How cool is that?

The photo above was taken in New York---I am sure you could have guessed. What I believe is most important about what the Statue of Liberty stands for in our lives. It was a gift from the French government---one that makes being an American something to be proud of; being ugly and doing things that are not good for your fellow man, woman or child is something I hope I never do consciously.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment