Search This Blog

Thursday, March 15, 2012

Stepping back in time.




“My friends from high school
Married their high school boyfriends
Moved into houses in the same ZIP codes
Where their parents live.”

When I was at my high school reunion a number of years ago, I once again stepped back and took a look around at how many of my classmates not only live in the area where we grew up, but married those who they dated while in school. I was not sure whether to be impressed or surprised.

Having now lived more than half my life in Chicago, and very infrequently travelling back to St. Louis, I am disconnected from the neighborhood and people who I knew so many years ago.

One of the ways I have “stayed in touch,” and somewhat on a distant basis, is through Facebook. There are a few high school friends who I have “friended” but most of the people are individuals I have met in my post high school years. As I see it, I had little in common with many of the class of ’76 then, how am I going to now be an important part of their lives?

But that’s not the way it is for everyone. There is one person who is on Facebook that I knew in high school but not all that well. We were in what would be called, “different social classes.” In other words, she was very social and I had little class. But now, at least in some ways, we have leveled the playing field and talk for a moment or two on Facebook. I look at this as a form of closure and also an opening to the years of confusion when I was really not sure who I was, what I was going to do, and where I would end up. Funny, I am still there in many respects.

Yesterday I spoke with a fraternity brother of mine who recently moved to Kansas City. When I speak with him, for me it’s like a time machine. I travel back and we re-start the conversation from the last time we spoke. It’s that kind of friendship---one I value and trust. We didn’t grow up in the same neighborhood, or know on another before college, but he married someone I knew from high school. Funny how things work out, isn’t it?

The photo above is of my daughter Audrey last fall. Lying in a patch of grass, with only her head emerged, she symbolizes life in some ways---you have to lift up, take a look around and determine what’s out there to consider for the rest of your life.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment