Search This Blog

Thursday, March 22, 2012

Seasons. Change.




I have moments when I curse the rain
Then complain when the sun's too hot
I look around at what everyone has
And I forget about all I've got.”

When we think we have it bad, it’s best to look around and see how wrong we are. Sure, there are times when the dark clouds have gathered over and times look bleak; but in a matter of moments, hours, or a few days, things can and often do change.

This past week in Chicago, we have been wondering why the weather---it’s phenomenal---has changed from a mild winter to summer? Spring didn’t even really stop by, except to make sure the trees came back to life, and now we have been basking in weather we normally don’t see until June. (It’s March 22.)

But then there’s the flip side of life. Because we are not accustomed to this weather so early, the buildings have not shifted their heating and cooling systems to what would normally happen a month or so from now. So what are we doing on these breathtaking days? We’re complaining the air is too warm. Since we are not able to open the windows---it’s a big building in a big city---we sit there and wonder if we will pass out or not? Oh such problems.

Last night, and the night before, I wore shorts when I was home; actually I have worn them everyday since Saturday. I heard yesterday we are expecting a change in weather. Ah hah, now we are really going to get it. Well, not exactly, it is supposed to be in the 50s. That would normally be the weather we would expect a month from now so we are well ahead of the season.

I am not a fan of winter; even though we had heard this was going to be the winter of all winters, they made the prediction last Fall, they could not have missed the mark by a wider margin. I am just fine with that---because I know there are other winters on the horizon that will be just like we know. Different than this one.

The photo above was taken at Wrigley Field a few years ago when the Cubs played the Cardinals. Just like spring, the hope arrives that this will be a different year for Cub fans. Just like the score indicates, it most likely will not be!

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment