Search This Blog

Saturday, March 31, 2012

The light.



“There you stood, that'll teach her
To look so good and feel so right
Let me tell you 'bout the girl I met last night
It's understood, I had to reach her
I let the wheel of fortune spin
I touched your hand before the
Crowd started crushin' in
Now I'm higher than a kite
I know I'm gettin' hooked on your love.”

Today’s “Snap.Shot.” has nothing to be with me, it has to do with the individual who tonight will become my daughter-in-law.

To understand who she is, and what she has endured, is best summed up with one word…”quality.” Sure, this is probably more descriptive for a car, computer, or tangible item, but it’s equally as applicable for Lauren.

Here’s why:

She is thoughtful; she really does care about people, their feelings, and how she can make some feel very much like the most important person on Earth. She is tough; at a very young age she lost her father. Not only did she have to grow up fast, but had to learn to help, nurture, and be a big sister to two younger sisters, who along with her Mom suddenly saw their world change dramatically. Most important, she is my son’s wife. Okay, they aren’t actually married as I write today, but I am assuming all will go as planned; together they make a very wonderful couple.

I have never been the father of the bride or groom so this is a first for me. I spoke with Jason by phone today---for some reason I was the one doing the pacing as we talked. We discussed a number of topics; most important we talked about Lauren. He loves her, cherishes her, and most of all, loves what she has brought to his life. I did provide a bit of advice to him in describing this day; I said, “Jason, this is your wedding day and as important as it is for you as a couple, please remember---it’s Lauren’s day to shine.” His response, “I know Dad.”” This was my way of saying, agree with whatever she says because no matter what you say, the only words that matter are…”I love you and I do.”

As he was going to rest, and I was still pacing, we discussed the speeches being given tonight; he said, “Dad I know you have spent a lot of time writing yours, so I want to make sure everyone can hear it.” What he doesn’t know is thanks to “Snap. Shot.” and my need to write this in 15 minutes or less, I have learned to craft my thoughts quickly. I then started to cry as he said, “I love you Dad.” (It’s going to be a tough night to keep it in.)

The photo above was taken from north of the Hancock Tower in Chicago; what I love about this photo is the light that shines from the middle of the building into the unknowing future, Lauren has provided the guide for Jason to grow into the man I could only “wish” he would turn out to be. Welcome to our family Lauren---we are so happy to have you.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment