Search This Blog

Monday, March 12, 2012

Weather.




He says, "Lord, I never complain, I never ask why
But please don't let my dream to run dry
Underneath, underneath this Amarillo sky
That hailstorm back in '83
Sure did take a toll on his family
But he stayed strong and carried on
Just like his dad and granddad did before him.”

The recent storms throughout the southern and mid-western states are a reminder that with the great weather we are now having, you sometimes have to put up with some very challenging times before and after. With the recent number of tornadoes dancing around the U.S, I am sure most of those who were affected would gladly trade what they experienced for some less chaotic times.

When I was in 3rd grade, we had a tornado come through our community. Up until that time, I had no idea what a tornado was but knew when my Mom said, “We are going downstairs” this was not going to be an enjoyable time. The one thing I do remember, and that’s about all from the memorable night, was when she lit a match it literally exploded. I am not sure if this had to do with the barometric pressure when the tornado was near or over our neighborhood. Fortunately it didn’t hit our home, but no more than 500 yards away, it removed homes from their foundations and displaced families for months.

Move ahead nearly 1 year to the date, and my father and I are having a conversation as I am preparing to head back home after spending the weekend with him. The weather had been magnificent the entire weekend, but I knew there were storms on the way---and I was going to be going through them. While most people would have delayed their trip, not me, I was ready to go and experience. Brave? No, probably stupid. I was determined to photograph a tornado. When I explained this desire to my father, to say he was questioning my sanity would be a fairly accurate statement. (By the way, there were none, just a lot of rain.)

For those of you who know me, perhaps you are aware I have a job in marketing; not your average form of selling products to those who want or need them, I am in the area of “experiential marketing.” I won’t go into it, but I would like to discuss a program that a company I worked for is behind. It’s the “Tide Loads of Hope” program. If you are aware of it, then you know that Tide sends a mobile laundry mat on wheels to areas that have been hit with natural disasters; it’s on the road now helping those who have little or nothing left, with a necessity beyond food and water. It’s clean clothing. You drop off your clothes, they are washed and dried, and you pick them up the next day. Very cool.

The photo above was taken after a rainstorm near Millennium Park in Chicago. Although nothing like what was experienced recently, it did make for a very interesting photo. At least I thought so. For those who are displaced and/or dealing with the recent rash of storms, my heart goes out to you; let’s hope there are no longer any storms like these heading anyone’s way.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment