Search This Blog

Friday, November 6, 2009

70/30


Just for today try and be different.

Recently I was in a meeting where the speaker made a very intuitive comment. She said, "In an average day 70% of everything we do is routine. We get up for work, we brush our teeth, we have breakfast, go to work, etc." She went on to say, "It's the other 30% of your day that can make life more interesting." In other words, we are not drones, we are humans and why not make the most of making every day a better one. Not a bad thought.

There are some people who might say, "I am not predictable, I never do the same thing every day." Well for you, please come back tomorrow because I sense there will be few of us who can make this claim. I, for sure, can not. I eat the same thing every morning, raisin bran, check my e-mail at approximately the same time each day, leave for work and catch the same train (yes I do sometimes take different trains---i.e. yesterday's blog) and pretty much am what would be deemed predictable if not down right boring.

But there are certain things I do to make changes in my life. Such as this blog. Every day I approach the screen with absolutely no idea about what I am going to write about. I will typically look for a picture and then start writing. It's actually a lot of fun. I am sure as I hit the number 100 in writing Snap Shot, there will be a block. For those keeping track, we are on number 66.

Today I did something different to start my day. Besides checking my e-mail, my youngest daughter and I sat by the kitchen island and counted coins. "What's this?" I asked. "Daddy it's a penny, a nickel, a dime, etc." We then went back and counted the number of pennies that make up a nickel, dime, etc." I figured she better learn now as she will be laughing at me one day when I ask about pennies, dimes and quarters. She will be saying, "Okay I get it, can I have a $20 so I can go shopping now?" They are so wonderful.

Living life by making changes to the 30% of your life can not be done every day. I do believe there are times when you will fall back into the rut. It just happens. But if you do think about making changes to your average day, it's kind of fun.

The photo above is my brother in law jumping off a post in Lake Tahoe. He is braver than I am. Not only did he do it, but my daughter did as well as my sister in law---I captured it on my Nikon. Hey, it's a different picture than I have taken before, so I guess for that day it would fall into my 30%. There was no way I was going to copy what they were crazy enough to do.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment