Search This Blog

Sunday, November 29, 2009

In this game there are no losers.


Yesterday our family travelled to Champaign, IL to watch the local high school team compete in the state football tournament. Glenbard West (GBW) was 13-0 playing the next town over---Wheaton/Warrenville High School who were 12-1. I am not a big high school football fan, this was the first year I actually went to a game---but this was the game to see. Both teams were charged up and they were ready to play. (The fans were just as riled up as the players---some wore no shirts, others had the team colors, and most of us lost our voices by the end of the game.)

At half time the game score was 7-3; not the usual blow out GBW was accustomed to seeing when they looked up at the scoreboard. When the second half started, I said to my wife, "I am going to shoot down by the field." Since the corner I wanted shoot in was barren, I knew there would be little problem getting down there. I am glad I did. One of the GBW players intercepted a ball and ran it in for a touchdown right into the corner where I was shooting. Just like the last time I shot pictures at one of their games, I was the only photographer within many yards. Sixty pictures later I got the shots that made this play magic.

As the game wore on, and I returned to my seat, it got colder in the stands but much hotter on the field. As time ticked down, GBW was on the 20-something yard line; the kicker, who is very dependable, lined up and missed. Stuff happens. Then they went into overtime and sudden death started; in high school and college football it's where both teams line up on the 10 yard line and have 4 downs to try to score. Both teams scored on their try---so 4 more downs to try and do it again. This time GBW didn't score and Wheaton/Warrenville did. So, they lost the game and the potential championship.

Here's where it gets interesting. Understandably GBW is very disappointed. To come this far and not carry off the trophy is a let down. A huge let down. But, think about how far they came? Think about how many teams would die to be in their shoes (or cleats)? I know it doesn't matter, but in many ways it does. These are the learning experiences that shape people. It's the old adage, "you can't win them all,"and in the end there are a lot more wins ahead in life. I promise.

At the pep rally some of the GBW players didn't show up. They were probably too ashamed, disappointed or upset---only a guess. I can certainly understand; however they should have been there. Not because they wanted to be, but because their fans were waiting for them. It's okay to not win, but these young men are not losers. There is a very big difference.

The photo above was from last night's game. Based upon the reaction of the team in the background, and the team in the foreground, you can probably tell who won and who didn't. But what if the opposite would have happened? Would their lives have really changed? That's what they call destiny and in the end there is little you can do about it. I hope this team appreciates and knows how proud we were to be in those stands last night. I probably will not remember the score or too much about the game months from now---I will remember that both teams put on one heck of a show. Congrats to both teams.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment