Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Commuting by rowboat.


I have commuted by car, bus and train, but never by boat. A number of years ago I knew of a couple who actually lived in the light house in the photo above. They were both media representatives and sold advertising space for a living. I can only imagine what it would be like to entertain in their home----you really have to be careful about how much you drank.

Once at a business luncheon I was talking to the husband who rented the lighthouse (it was not for sale) however they no longer live there and in fact are no longer married. It does not come as much of a surprise. I asked him what it was like to live out there? He said it was enjoyable---however not as quiet as you might think as boats do come by. You also have to perform the duties of a lighthouse keeper as this was a real working lighthouse. What I didn’t ask about were the usual conversations a couple might ask who lived in a traditional home.

“Honey did you let the dog out?

“Did you tie up the boat?”

“Did you get the milk I asked for?”

A lighthouse off the coast of Chicago’s Navy Pier is not for everyone.

The other day online I read an article highlighting some of the ugliest homes around the world. Some of them lived up to the title of the article; some were just really weird. We have some in the area near where we live---if you drive by car (not by boat) about 6 miles there are 2 homes that are being built. Now I am not sure if royalty lives there, but not only do these homes resemble castles, but it would not surprise me if they had a moat. They are that big and ridiculous looking amongst a neighborhood of normal sized homes.

I have always wondered what people are thinking when they build a home that is so unusual and so large that when you have come to your senses, you ask, “how I sell this? In markets like Chicago, homes do cost a lot. But to have a home valued at $8,500,000+ is not an easy sell. Especially in today’s real estate market; I guess you have to invite some of the sports teams over and have an open house.

The photo above is the lighthouse mentioned in today’s blog. It is a really cool lighthouse located about 400 yards off of Navy Pier. This may not sound like to far to travel, but when the waters of Lake Michigan are rough, and it’s dark outside, there’s a good likelihood the delivery guy is going to be late and eating at home is in.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment