Search This Blog

Sunday, November 22, 2009

Do we really have to do this?


This past weekend was a rarity. I can’t say for sure, but as I look at a family photo hanging on my parent’s wall, I believe it’s been 4 years since we all were together. Ironically, I think it was to celebrate my Mom’s 75th birthday.

One of the easiest ways to tell is to try and determine, based upon size, how old the kids appear to be in the picture and then gauge it from there. Or, how much the adults appear to have aged---both usually appear to be on the same course.

Not much has changed in 4 years when it comes to taking a family photo. You get those who are just fine and move to the place they have been asked to sit or stand. But then you get some family members (names withheld) who just can’t seem to stand in the right place, turn the right direction, or look into the camera. This is not a situation only our family experiences, every family does. The ones who are usually the toughest are the smaller children who can only look in the wrong direction. Sometimes I wonder if they try to do this.

You have to bribe them, call their names, or find ways to get them to turn toward you. So what happens? Just when the kids turn their heads, someone else (usually an adult) turns to make sure the kids are behaving. Happens all of the time.

Okay, so everyone is ready, and you start taking pictures. That’s when the “are we done yets?” start to come out. It usually starts with the teenagers, and then you see it on the faces of the adults.

But then a funny thing happens. I will say, “Okay, we’re done” and then some one will say, “Will you take a picture with me and so and so?” Once one starts there are usually many who are now waiting for their pictures to be taken with their wives, kids, etc. Then the teenagers chime in and want to know when they can leave? But, who are the first who want to look at the pictures? You guessed it, the same ones who could not wait to finish and get out of there. Funny world we live in.

The photo above was taken at the Chicago Botanical garden in the Northern Suburbs of Chicago. What I loved most about this picture are the lines and shadows from the trees, that to me, symbolize how no path is perfect and how every road takes you into a new direction. At least this is what I see, but who knows, I am just the photographer.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment