Search This Blog

Friday, November 13, 2009

Somebody actually wants this job.


America has been built upon an economy where you work, you spend, you enjoy. We all know from the last year that this doesn’t always work as well as we had hoped.

There are some jobs that I could see myself doing, but there are many that I have no reason to even consider. I think we all fall into this category. For example, I would not want to be a doctor; it’s more than the risk factor of saving someone’s life, it’s also the knowledge it takes to have a total understanding of probably the most complicated “system” we could ever imagine. The human body. Even “House” gets stumped at times and let’s face it, the guy can pretty much cure anything when he puts his mind to it. (Believe it or not, there are people out there who actually think he is a real doctor.)

I also would not want to be an engineer; I am not really good with numbers (hated geometry) and knowing you have to build what will be a structurally sound building, bridge, or playground is something I would struggle to understand.

The one job I am 100% sure I would not want is to be President of the United States. Sure, there are many people who think it’s an easy job, and one they could easily handle---I agree with them and encourage them to run for office in 2012. However, you will not see my name on any signs, TV commercials or buttons---you can be sure of that.

Of course there are some jobs I would love to have---I will focus (no pun intended) on the one I would like to have to complement my full-time job. I would like to be a photographer for Sports Illustrated. I have made this comment 3 times so far in “Snap. Shot.” but so far the phone has not rung. I have not heard from the publisher, editor, or chief photographer---no voice at the end of the phone saying, “Mark, big game this weekend---we need you on the sidelines.” Until then I guess I will just keep taking pictures in hopes of getting the call. You know what? They actually have my number as I know people at SI---that’s gratitude for you.

The photo above demonstrates a job I would for sure never be interested in applying for---I suspect I am not alone. I went to the Professional Bullrider’s show early this year. For some crazy reason I wanted to take pictures of bullriders. I am so glad I went; I had a great time, the crowd was so into it, and the bullriders were very appreciative for the opportunity to perform for us. The only ones who didn’t have an opinion, and perhaps they don’t like their jobs were the bulls. Maybe they were more interested in being an engineer, doctor or politician.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment