Search This Blog

Saturday, November 7, 2009

W.W.J.D.?


A few years back this was a frequent question seen on everything from t-shirts, to wrist bands, to bumper stickers, etc. I have not seen it as often so I suspect either the question was answered or a new question is being asked?

I suspect however that it will be popular again. Not for religious reasons, but for the 2010 NBA free agency---in other words, "What Will James Do?" (As in LeBron James.)

Yesterday a friend of mine and I were having lunch when I mentioned, "Did you see the Bulls beat the Cavs last night?" He did. Next to us were a man and woman and the wife said, "Did I hear you mention something about the Cleveland Cavaliers?" Turns out they were from Cleveland and were huge Cavalier fans. Small world when you are in Water Tower Place in the middle of Chicago. We talked about a lot of things, for a half an hour, and finally decided that we all hoped LeBron James stays in Cleveland. As the husband explained, "He just built a $26 million home (should be easy to sell in Cleveland where the median price of a home is $139,000) and he is everything in the marketplace." Sometimes however the bright lights of a bigger city blind you, so you never know what a star athlete will do.

I really do hope that LeBron stays in Cleveland. Frankly the city does deserve to have a marquee player like LeBron and even though New York, Miami, and Los Angeles might have the glow of a brighter light, in the end you are a smaller fish in a much larger pond. Plus if you really want to spend more time in these cities it's easy to just fly there, have fun, and then in LeBron's case nestle back into your 35,000 square foot home.

But funny things have happened----many professional athletes get their starts in smaller cities and then are lured to the bigger ones for fame and glory. Leaving their fan base crying in their beers and scratching their heads asking, "Why would they leave us? Don't they like being here?" It's like losing a friend as fan's see it. Sometimes they get really mad---just ask Green Bay fans about Brett Farve.

The photo above was taken at the Bradley Center in Milwaukee. I had a fantastic seat that I bought on E-Bay from a guy from Chicago. Following me? I wanted to see LeBron play and the seller had 4 tickets---I sat by him and his 2 kids---he talked the entire game. I focused on LeBron and tuned him out completely. (My greatest concern after purchasing the ticket was---what happens if LeBron takes the night off?)

Certainly having a photo of LeBron jamming the ball in practice is a good shot, but it's the look by Eric Snow to the left side that makes this picture. He was in awe---and it shows.

I have no idea W.W.J.D.? But I do know he is very fun to watch, has an incredible talent, and adds a lot to the town who has supported him from High School to the NBA. So whatever he does, I do hope I have the opportunity to take pictures of him again---he makes the camera click faster than any player I have ever photographed.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment