Search This Blog

Sunday, November 8, 2009

Suits me.


It wasn't many years ago when everyone, and I mean everyone would dress up to go to work. Men would wear suits, women would wear skirts or dresses and that's the way it was. It's no longer that way today. Today it seems anything goes---within reason of course.

The last time I wore a suit to work was more than 2 years ago. Every time I go into my closet and see a suit I think about going to Temple. It's the only time I wear a suit---I will always wear a suit to Temple as this is something my parents have instilled in me. You get dressed up when you are in the sanctuary. Period.

I have to admit sometimes wearing a suit makes me feel more professional when I am on a call, however those feelings are fleeting once I realize I don't have to wear one. I just like to wear pants and a sweater during the winter and fall---and pants and a short sleeved shirt in the summer. (Spring rarely shows up in Chicago so why bother commenting on it.)

There are some areas of the country wear suits are still the norm. Go to New York City and it's like stepping back in time as far as what is worn. Men still dress up. Women still dress up. Even when I go to New York I have dressed up. By the way, that was the last time I wore a suit to work. As they say, "When in Rome..."

I have been in the advertising and marketing business for my entire career. I was not around for the 1960s advertising revolution and am glad I was not...I doubt I would have been able to handle it. All you have to do is watch Mad Men on AMC to get a realistic feel of what these times were like. But, I was around in the early 1980s, even had a blue seer sucker suit, and caught the tail end of the 3 martini lunches; these were times when business was conducted before noon, and little happened after you arrived back to the office after lunch. I was able, I guess this is the appropriate word, to experience what I really am glad is no longer part of the business culture. I saw some very good men and women fall hard during these times and not get up---just not worth it, and in today's times business is always on.

The photo above was taken on Michigan Avenue in Chicago; men walk around with billboard signs handing out information about substantial savings on suits and mens clothing. They hand them out in all types of weather---this night it was well below freezing. What I like about the photo are the blur of the people. Like the men's suit business it seems like this part of life has in many respects passed us by.

Thanks for stopping by.


No comments:

Post a Comment