Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 18, 2009

My first love.


We all pretty much come into this world in the same way. The real difference is the way we are greeted when we arrive. For me, it could not have been any better. Sure I don’t remember my first days of life, but if they were that bad I am sure I would not be the person I am today.

My first love is very similar to what other people have experienced. My first love was my Mom, Barbara Ellen Rosenbaum. Although she had a real dislike for her middle name, she felt it was perfectly fine to give me one that was just as bad---Elliot. (I know this is not a time to joke, but this was something we truly had in common.)

My Mom was the first one to hold me, the first one to nurture me, the first one to say, “He’s my son.” She had a real gift for caring about people and she had many friends because of it. Many friends who have been in constant contact since April 4, 2009 when we learned she had brain cancer. It’s ironic we found out she was sick on my birthday and we will be saying “goodbye” on her 79th.

So where is she now?

I spoke with my sister a few minutes ago and she explained what my Mom’s final moments were like; since this is personal I won’t go into detail, but I was told “she left us in peace.” I was very fortunate today as I was able to say goodbye to my Mom---not in the usual way at her bedside (I was 300+ miles away)---but my sister placed her cell phone next to my Mom’s ear and we spent several minutes together.

I am sure she heard what I had to say, and I 100% guarantee that she knows how I feel about being her son. She was a wonderful person; she was the definition of what a Mom is---caring, determined, and proud. That’s my Mom.

The photo above is one I did not take. It’s one of the few you’ll find in “Snap. Shot” where I am not the photographer. Ego you might think?

Nope, the real reason is I don’t want to ask permission to use them! Since my daughter took the photo---the feet imprints are of my youngest daughter Sophie during her first few moments of life---I am going to assume my daughter is not going to be upset , or sue me, for using it.

At 6:08 PM this evening, I learned my Mother, Barbara Ellen Rosenbaum, lost her battle with brain cancer; she fought hard, but this damn disease fought harder. I will miss my Mom but I also know she is in a better place…one that I will visit when it’s my turn. A big part of me looks forward to it, but I have a lot to do before we see each other again.

I love you Mom---I miss you so very much.

Thanks for stopping by

2 comments:

  1. Mark - I love this abs hadn’t read it before. I lost my mom just this year and while I was so very lucky to have her until she was 96, I only makes me miss her more. Thank you for sharing this! Hugs! Nancy schwartz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully stated. Thank you for sharing.🌷I grew up having you and your family Next-door for my formative years growing up. I thought all neighbors would feel like family as that’s all I knew. Lucky us, that we had you and your lovely family help shape our view of our world. Your parents will always have a special place in my heart, as they always made me feel welcomed and special.
    Lucky me.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete